Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion TS 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Almost weekly, I receive a pop-up error message stating I have low disk space on recovery 😧 drive.....it pops up automatically.  My 😧 drive isn't my CD/DVD player....that's on drive E:.  I haven't put anything on drive 😧 and don't know how.    I haven't created a recovery disk yet.

I looked at what is on my drive 😧 and it is a bunch of AutoSave documents.  Not sure what they are or how they got there.  I've seen a lot of videos on YouTube that provide instructions on how to delete files....I'm not techy and nervous about doing that.

Does anyone have advice on how I can make this error message go away and how I can prevent files from going there to make it full going forward?  I have 800 GB free space on my C: drive.

Thank you in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The error message is being caused by something simple. 🙂

The system protection for the 😧 partition is set to enabled.  

That needs to be changed  to disable and the autosave files deleted to stop the error message. Files should never be saved to partition D:. 

See the following video from YouTube. The video is OK. You can turn off the music. 😉

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did watch the video: "How to turn on system protection."  

Under my sytem protection tab, C: drive already shows "on" and my Recovery 😧 drive already shows "off."  In the video it ends with the C: drive status being changed to "on." 

• Is this still the right video for my particular issue?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

OK.

If the system protection for C: is enabled and for 😧 is disabled, you don't need to make any changes there.

Have you already created a USB recovery flash drive? You should have already done that by now. 

If there are some auto-save files, as you described them, in the 😧 partition then you may have inadvertently set the 😧 partition as a save location for some software installed in the C: (system) partition.  

There should not be any auto-save files in the 😧 (recovery) partition. Those files are the reason you are seeing the error message.

Can you make a screenshot of the Windows Explorer that shows which files are in the 😧 partition? 

You can use the Windows Snipping tool to do that. Please insert the image in your thread in your next post.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico, my friend!

Ok....I didn't create a USB recovery flash drive until you said below that I should have already done so.  I used the HP Assistant tool and it was much easier than I thought it would be.  Thanks for the push. 

As requested, I took a couple of screen shots:  one of my devices/drives and one that shows what is on my 😧 drive.  What is the Z drive?  I notice it is almost half full. 

I appreciate any assistance.  Thanks!

HoneyBee614 - Devices and Drives.PNG

HoneyBee614 - D Drive Files.PNG

HP Recommended

all of the autosave files can be safely deleted.

delete_these.png

You do need to find out which office productivity program is set to save to the recovery partition or this will keep on happening.  

You can find out what the Z: partition is by using the diskpart utility or the disk management snapin. The Z: partition isn't full, so it isn't a problem.

see the following example. 

HP Recommended

What's the example you'd like me to see?  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@HoneyBee614 wrote:

What's the example you'd like me to see?  Thanks.

Sorry about that.

Disk manager:  Right click the Windows icon and click on Disk Management. That will invoke the disk management snapin. The image shows disk management and diskpart right next to each other. Type in the commands as seen in the image below.

bootable.jpg

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.