Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Notebook 2000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got a new Solid State Drive, and I was going to put windows [10] on it with the media creation tool, so I used my flashdrive to make it a bootable drive. I switched ssds in my notebook 2000 laptop, and I plugged in the flashdrive before turning on the pc, tapping f12 repeatedly, and got the recovery thing open. I chose one of the left options saying I would have as minimum drives as possible, and the os.. But after that it said it couldn't find a certain type of drive, so it wouldn't let me continue or go back because the next and back buttons were unselectable.

I only could interact with it by unplugging the power cord, but it only said to plug it back in, so I plugged it back in and still nothing could happen.

I held the power button and tried again, but got a black screen saying it needed a boot device, hard disk <o3f>, and need an OS.

I switched the drives to see what would happen, but the original drive also got the black screen!

I switched it multiple times and decided to look at an HP guide, and got the original one to work again, only because when I was switching the drives, the sata cord was loose on the motherboard, so I just pushed it down and noticed it follow my finger.

But the recovery popup and the hard drive just don't show up.

I'm confused...

It would only let me do one media creation.

How could I get windows on my new ssd with my flashdrive if it doesn't get recognized as a bootable device?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@RaidCom

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

Let me know if I got this, you've replaced the hard drive with an SSD and you need assistance in installing the OS using the recovery media you had created previously using the recovery media creation, is that right?

If yes, please be advised that the recovery media is encrypted to work with the factory hardware only (The drive has to be the same size and contain the same transfer speed as the originally shipped HDD, otherwise, the recovery media may or may not work).

That said, You can install a retail version of the OS at your own discretion and download the drivers from hp or 3rd party websites depending on the manufacturer of each part/component in your computer.

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks for the welcome! 🙂
So there's a program I could get to have my operating system multiplied only once, without needing a Usb-to-Sata3?
HP Recommended

@RaidCom

Thank you for replying,

It looks like you've missed out on answering my query, however, Yes you could exclude the USB to sata3 if you are replacing the existing HDD inside your computer,

That said, if you are adding an additional drive (SSD) to your existing setup, you will need the USB to Sata3 and in this case,

you don't need an OS as the default operating system stored in your HDD should work just fine.

perhaps, you should let me know what exactly is it that you are attempting to do!

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Oh! Sorry for not answering your question, I exactly didn't notice it >~>
I'm trying to make the ssd get the operating system on it, so I can use it as the fast booting ssd for a new pc I'm going to build.
I'll get another ssd in without the Os for all my other files to be put in it.
HP Recommended

@RaidCom

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

No apology necessary, we are all humans and its human to err 😉

That said, the information you've disclosed helps a lot and now that I understand the concern,

I would recommend you make use of a retail copy of windows if the system generated recovery media doesn't work (as mentioned before, it's encrypted to work with factory defaults),

Once the OS is installed on your internal SSD, you can use the other external SSD to store your data.

I hope that answers your questions.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Do you think my bootable drive could work for the other pc's activation when I finish getting all of its parts?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.