Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy m6-1225dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi there,
I am really hoping you can help me.  

I've spent hours and hours trying to figure this out with multiple calls to Microsoft and am very upset. My son is in college...he was given a new laptop by his grandmother as a graduation gift..the motherboard failed.

After two replacement boards I am finally able to use it and want to send it back to him but now I am not able to activate windows and it appears the product key is in bios of old board.

Can you PLEASE tell me what I can do.

We are Super poor here FYI. 

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you buy the right motherboard/part number from HP ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I bought the exact same motherboard but got it from Ebay as I had no idea you could even buy parts for an older laptop though HP..I have never heard of that before. But yes..the motherboard is identical, the first one had a bad video card..the second one worked..I have all three sitting here now.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The key is in the BIOS of your machine, please use the following tool to get it:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

When run this tool, it produces a report, scroll down to Software Management section. Windows 8, 8.1 or 10  product key is in there.

You can also use the following tool to find out:

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Regards,

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Banhien..thank you for those links, they will be useful I am sure but the Key is not in there.

it says Windows 8.1 00179-60623-13330-AAOEM (Key: non activated)

HP Recommended

Hi,

Since you bought from eBay, please check part number. Is it the one of the following parts (with Windows 8 Pro key included):

698395-601     MOTHERBOARD UMA HM77 W8PRO
698395-501     MOTHERBOARD UNIFIED MEMORY ARCHITECTURE HM77 W8STD

Other than that, sorry I don't know ! Old owner could play around with it. Other option: buy Windows 8 license from Microsoft.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

It is one of those part numbers..

698395-501

But I am not sure what that tells me etc.

I even went as far as buying a 8.1 Pro License Key yesterday and it didn't work even though it's a valid Key.

Problem is..I think I have plain ole 8.1 installed..and I don't see anyway to even buy that Key anywhere.

I even tried to install my valid unused version of Windows 7 but it wouldn't let me and just kept saying error with no explanation during install.

If you have any ideas that would be great...I just can't afford to buy a NEW OS after what I just spent on the motherboards and case for this.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.