Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Probook 440 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello, recently I have a problem typing with my laptop. Mutliple times a day, both of the shift keys, and the scroll lock key turns on by themselves. These are the problems I face when typing:

1. Unwanted text is highlighted

2. Letters are capital although caps lock is not on.

3. When I try to browse in Google Chrome, text gets deleted and random windows start to pop up

4. For some reason the word "QWEPRUIO" starts appearing sometimes when I type.
5. Someimes while I type, suddenly the text gone missing and an asterik * appears.

6. Also when this happens, my wi-fi gets turned off automatically.

IT guys at my work place tried fixing it but we can't seem to find the problem source.

Please help me, this is getting rather annoying especially I am using the laptoo for work!

It took me more than half an hour to type a decent email to my client 😞

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I have this problem too right now.    So far I've not found any of the fixes on the internet (language etc) to work.  However I did find that if I press both shift keys at the same time, it clears the condition and then it happens again.....randomly..... 

I am on an HP Elitebook and on Windows 7 (I think).

HP Recommended

Are you using a wireless keyboard? I too was having this same problem. My IT guy suggested I disconnect my wireless keyboard also remove the usb connector for the mouse and the problem hasn't happened since. It's only been 24 hours but could possibly be the cause.

HP Recommended

I've got a 9470m notebook and have exactly the same issue.

The issue only occurs when te laptop is off docking station, after a random period of time ...

When docked. it never happens, but in that scenario the wireless antenna is switched off...

i posted the question also into another forum last year, and according to some HP  engineer it was a motherboard issue... 

since my laptop is out of warrenty, and i mostly work with docking and cabled connection, i decided to accept the issue as it is ... If it happens the only thing you can do is shutdown and let your machine cool down for a while ...

HP Recommended

I have the same problem typing QWEPRUIO

Its gotta be the motherboard, I replaced keyboard,ram,hard drive, wifi card, I thought it might be over heating, I put new paste on the processor. removed the keyboard and used usb mouse and keyboard. With no luck.

HP Recommended

Omg this is *exactly* the problem I'm having with my HP probook 450! Last week it suddenly started doing exactly what you all describe and it went absolutely berserk; airplane mode kept switching on and off so much I couldn't even find out what the problem was online. And even if I didn't, I couldn't have typed a thing because he just kept switching and interchanging letters.

In pure desperation I reinstalled windows 10. That seemed to fix the problem - at least it did for 4 days. Yesterday, airplane mode switched on and off again, and I got a few weird letters. After that, nothing. But just now, it switched off again, and again 3 words turned into nonsense. Now it's fine again.

I haven't been able to figure out what it is. Apparently the motherboard? But hoowwwww do I fix this? IS it at all fixable? I can't keep on reinstalling windows.

I figured something was wrong with the keyboard including the airplane mode button... but it's not like you can replace a laptop keyboard, so. Is there anyone who has figured out how to fix this?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.