Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17 EOJ97UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Had to wipe out my harddrive ater a reboot would not load, kept getting message about a windows error.  I didn't copy the Windows 8 key, don't have the disc, and the key is not on a label on the bottom of the laptop or inside the battery tray.  I purchased the computer new in December 2013 from Best Buy.  It had Window 8 and over the years I did the free upgrades to 8.1 and then to Windows 10.  

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

There is no visible Windows 8 Key Code....it is embedded in the BIOS chip of the computer so if you reinstall the exact same version it will activate itself automatically. But Windows 8 OEM is hard to find. The good news is if you ever had Windows 10 activated on it you need no license code to reactivate. Go to Microsoft's Media Creation Tool site, and follow the prompts to make a Windows 10 install disk (usb or DVD) of the same version as you had on it before (Home or Pro) and it will just activate the first time you connect to the internet. It's a little creepy, but Microsoft keeps a record of every computer on which Windows 10 was activated and it will recognize the computer and activate on reinstall. You can change any of the hardware except the motherboard and it still works.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

HP Recommended

Thank you!  Somehow I must have hit the correct buttons and now the Windows 8 DID in fact load, and the computer is up and running.  I will follow your suggestions and see if I can get Windows 10 to come up also.  I had spent the last several days looking on the Internet and talking to different "Computer" repair shops. 

Everyone said the key would be on the laptop or inside the battery case.  They also all said I would have to purchase a copy of Windows 10 since once it was wiped out, it would no longer be a free download.  I will try and get reloaded later this evening.

Right now I am just happy to be up and running, even though I have forgotten pretty much how Windows 8 works!  I did lose all of my files, pictures, etc but that is really no big deal.  I use this computer strickly for email, internet browsing, etc.

I will make a Recovery disc or USB once I get things completly back up.

Again, thanks for your help and I still have no idea how I got it to start working.  I had tried over the weekend to have it load but it kept saying I needed a Windows Key.

HP Recommended

You likely hit F11 to get into the factory recovery partition. In most cases, the upgrade to Windows 10 disables it but not always. Post back with any moire questions. 

HP Recommended

OK, a set of new problems.  My computer is working as of now BUT it keeps asking me to activate Windows.  I have managed to find my Product Key which matches the last 5 letters and numbers hint

that are listed where I am supposed to put my key.  However,  when I enter it is says it is correct, but then when I push Activate, it says the key has been blocked!

I also get a Code OxC004C003 error and it says to purchase another.  I looked on line on how to change the key and tried that using the Microsoft guide of putting in Slui 3 but that didn't work either. 

I guess I have 90 days before it deactivates again?  Really want to get it going and be done with it.  The version which shows on the screen when I sign on says "Windows 8 Build 9200"

I found the key by using a program called "Belarc Advisor".  After trying to enter the key and getting a notice of it being blocked, I ran Belarc once again and this time there is a different incomplete key next to Windows 8 (x64) than the original key I first found.  It also says Key:none activated for Windows 8 and also for Internet Explorer.  Don't know if this means anything but thought I would mention it.  The newly listed key which now shows next to Windows 8 has 4 groups of 5 numbers and or letters instead of the 5 groups I found last time.

The same numbers listed for Windows 8 are also listed for Microsoft Intyernet Explorer now.  Not sure if it was the same before when I found what was the original key ending in QC736 and which matched the hint given when I was entering the key before.

HP Recommended

We could maybe struggle through this but your fastest and esiest way out is just to reinstall Windows 10. Since we aren't really sure how Windows 8 got on it we don't know what is on there and hard to figure out how to get it to activate. 

HP Recommended

Windows 8 was the original operating system that had been preinstalled when I purchased the machine back in 2013.  Really not an option to reinstall Windows 10 since it was upgraded via the free download when it was first avaliable.  I ended up calling Microsoft and got a very helpful tech.

He got the activation to work via a phone call, and then he also downloaded Windows 10 back onto the system.  I am all set now and everything is activated.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help.

HP Recommended

It was always an option to reinstall Windows 10 but moot point now. Windows 10 has a whole new activation system and once Windows 10 is on the machine and activated it will always reactivate. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.