Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv7-6b63us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Recently replaced my failing hard drive with a new ssd and can not get the 3 recovery disks to load windows 7 64bit get to a point and i get an error that drivers are missing or corrupt and it stops the install any help would be great.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @Kytazdevil

Thank you for coming back to the HP Support forum.

Please, note that there is a general recommendation that if you make replacements of the HDD/SSD with a new one, its capacity has to be the same like the original HDD or bigger - for example, if your original HDD is with 500 GB capacity but your replacement SSD is with 120 GB capacity, the recovery media may not work properly.

Additionally, there may be other problem such as inability to load the discs

or they (all or some of them) are corrupted (not properly written/created).

Could yoy elaborate on the SSD size/capacity and also what exactly do you get.

Can you load first recovery disc (you know the process needs to be followed by 1st, 2nd, etc.. discs, not by a random base) ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

the ssd is 480gb i think the old drive was  750gb. i can get all the way through disks 1,2, and 3 then it starts to load windows and i get the error i would have to redo what i have running so far on the laptop i have a older copy of win7 32bit running on it now but am not happy with the way it runs vs the 64bit version. i will try and do an reinstall again and write down the exact error msg and just reinstall the 32bit again.

HP Recommended

Hello @Kytazdevil

Do you mean it successfully completes the recovery process (all the discs 1, 2, 3 pass/install) but later when it is ready and PC should first boot to Windows , it cannot due to the specific error ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

it get to a point on disk 3 thats when i get the error it never gets to the point of loading windows fully from what i can tell

HP Recommended

Disc 3 is usually the supplement one with the drivers.

As mentioned initially, it could be "incompatibility" with the new SSD as it is smaller in size than the original one.

However, I suggest you try to use original HP recovery media because your disc 3 might be corrupted, scratched or not properly written.

You can get them from this 3rd party reseller >> http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-22178-windows-7-64b-recovery-kit-671627-001-for-hp-pavilion-entert...

and should they do not work you can get a refund... but I guess they will work.

HP Recommended

Hi, @Kytazdevil :

If you can still read all 25 characters of the W7 product key on your notebook's case, you can make your own plain W7 installation media to install W7 with.

This site claims to have genuine, unadulterated W7 ISO files for download...

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Click on the link labeled Windows ISO Downloader.exe

You can use either the:

Win 7 Home SP1 or the (Retail version, but the  OEM key on your PC's case will work with it)

Win 7 Home SP1 COEM (This version would be for what HP would have used--System Builder)

N is for European Union (EU) countries.

K is for South Korean markets.

Then you can use this tool to transfer the file to a 4 GB USB flash drive or a DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Then go to your notebook's support page to install the drivers and available software you need.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.