Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP envy 15 j133tx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
I was casually browsing on the internet(the laptop was connected to the power supply) when suddenly my notebook's screen just went dead and the light on the power button started blinking. I tried to start it again by holding the power button but it didn't work. So naturally, I took out the battery from the laptop and tried to run it again by putting in the battery, but no luck. I tried those fixes in which you take out the power cord and battery and hold the power button down for a minute and it somehow works.... Please HELP
10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

> I tried to start it again by holding the power button but it didn't work.

> So naturally, I took out the battery from the laptop and tried to run it again by putting in the battery, but no luck.

Possibility #1: the battery was completely discharged.

Possibility #2: your AC adapter is not working, and thus not supplying power to the computer, and thus not recharging the battery.

> I tried those fixes in which you take out the power cord and battery and hold the power button down for a minute and it somehow works.

Possibility #1: dying motherboard -- the part that accepts the incoming power and charges the battery

Possibility #2: dying power adapter

How old is the laptop?

How recently have you backed-up all your personal files?

To me, it seems like your laptop is about to "die".

HP Recommended
Its still under warranty and it just came out of the service center.
HP Recommended

> It's still under warranty and it just came out of the service center. 

Thanks for the additional information.  I think that it needs another "visit" to that Service Center.

HP Recommended
I was fiddling around with the power button, and the notebook just started working again. Right now it is working rather well. Do you still think that the laptop is about to "die". Should I consider taking it to the service center again??
HP Recommended

> I was fiddling around with the power button, and the notebook just started working again.

> Right now it is working rather well.

> Should I consider taking it to the service center again?? 

Taking it there while it is working well is a waste of your time, and a waste of their time.

How much time left on the warranty?

Maybe, you should consider buying an "extended warranty", for a year or two more.

> Do you still think that the laptop is about to "die"?

Yes, given what you have written.

Your first report of a "sudden shutdown" sounded serious, as if it was overheating, and shut itself down to avoid damage.

Or, maybe a hardware problem caused the total "power-off" ?

Something is/was wrong.

Is the battery properly charging?  Was it down to under 5% ?

HP Recommended

By the way, why did you take it to the Service Center?  What was wrong?

HP Recommended
Let me explain everything in order.
The reason why I took it to the service center was, a message kept appearing at the startup ("The cooling fan is not working properly "). So the guys at the center told me that they had changed the cooling fan and some other plastic parts.
But when I went there and the technician pressed the power button the power led(the one where the supply goes, started blinking). But after a few tries, the laptop did work.
Now as I was browsing the internet, the screen just went black and the led on the power button started blinking. It did that for a long time(the blinking), so I removed the supply and then the battery. I reconnected the supply, and pressed the power button again but nothing happened(no blinks, nothing). After a few hours I did some random stuff, like pressing the power button for 15 seconds but nothing changed. After some random power button presses, the laptop started again.
As for the warranty, I have already bought extended warranty of 1 year and its about to run out in about 25 days. The laptop is about 3 years old now.
HP Recommended

> when I went there and the technician pressed the power button the power led (the one where the supply goes, started blinking). But after a few tries, the laptop did work.

It is not "normal" for the power LED (to indicate that the AC adapter is connected to the computer, and is supplying power through the wall-outlet) to "blink".  Usually, it's either "off" or "on".

Is the laptop NOW working? 

Is that LED still blinking? What colour is it?

Are you sure that it is the LED for the electrical power, and not the LED for the battery (RED == low battery, YELLOW == now charging, GREEN == 100% charged) ?

Can you feel warm air at the exhaust port, due to the now-replaced fan?

Does the battery show as 100% charged, or some other value? 

If less than 100%, is it slowly increasing, or is it decreasing?

HP Recommended
>The LED that I'm talking about is the one that is attached to the laptop, near the power supply. The one that goes red and white.

>Yes the laptop is working properly (for now at least)

>No the LED isn't blinking anymore, its white colored

>With all my time with the laptop I have only seen two colors, red(charging) and white(charged).

> yes I can feel the warm air on the exhaust and I'm pretty sure that the cooling fan is working properly(since some graphics intensive video games are running fine)

>The battery is 100% charged as shown in the power options( Do note though, that the battery is really weak, once I unplug the laptop, it would probably last 20 minutes, tops)
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.