Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g6-1d45dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Once I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 (64-bit) whenever I would put my laptop to sleep or close the lid and come back to it, it would come back on but immediately be frozen and it would not respond. After a couple of seconds a blue screen of death with a frowny face would pop up. It usually gives me the error code of: UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION

Then when I would come and start my laptop from being off sometime it will give me a BSOD right at the beginning and it would have error code, CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

Is there anyway to fix this? I would very much enjoy being able to have windows 10 on my laptop. Given the amount of BSOD I have had I went back to Windows 7 until a solution can be found.

Sidenote: I also had a similar problem with windows 8, it did the same exact thing as Windows 10 did. It just gave me a different error code: KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR.  I went back to Windows 7 on that situation as well.

Any help to fix this would be great! Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Heres a big update! 

I managed to get my old G6-1c43nr running smoothly on Windows 10 using this meathod! (Please note that not all G6's can use this meathod and you should proceed at your own discression!)

Steps to fix this error:

1. Download BIOS revision F.46 (You most likely have F.48 or F.49) if it is available for your laptop (Go to the Windows 7 Drivers section>BIOS>Previous Versions).

2. Install the older BIOS

3.After installing the older BIOS, your laptop most likely will not boot fully, it should give a BSOD and restart, let it do this twice and the third time it should attempt to perform a startup repair THIS WILL (AND SHOULD) FAIL!

4. After startup repair fails, click on "Advanced Options"

5. Click Troubleshoot>Advanced options>Start-up settings

6. Click restart

7. When you see the start-up settings screen, press "4" on your keyboard

8. You will then boot into safe mode, do not log into your computer when presented with the login screen, just press Power>Restart

9. You should be able to fully boot into Windows now

10. Put the computer to sleep and wake it, it should now fully work!

The issue was that the newer BIOS breaks the way Windows 8/10 read the SATA configuration and downgrading the BIOS fixes it.

Enjoy!

View solution in original post

53 REPLIES 53
HP Recommended

Install windows 10 again this time choose Not to save any data or system settings.

Back up important data first.

HP Recommended

Okay, I'm back on Windows 10. It did not give me the option to do a clean install through Windows Update.

HP Recommended

Bump.

HP Recommended

Sorry, but two possible problems here ...

1) If Win10 didn't activate after you upgraded to it, and it might not have because the activation servers were swamped with requests, then your install did not get activated.  And, in that case, you won't be able to do a clean install and have it activated.

2) I have an HP DV6 and it failed during Win10 upgrade, leaving it in an unusable state.  I've read posts from others with HP DV6's and they've had serious problems, too. It may just be that this laptop is simply too old to be successfully updated to Win10 -- which, after all, really expects Windows8-era hardware.

Hopefully, someone from HP can jump in on this and tell ALL of us DV6 owners (1) what the problem is, and (2) how we can fix that so we can all update to Win10.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Does disabling Hybrid Sleep help?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03383935#AbT3

HP Recommended

Don't have sleep or hybrid sleep enabled, so don't see how that advice from HP will help.  And note -- no one from HP has replied to this thread since I last posted to it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Ah, when you said "sleep" I assumed....

So I guess you mean hibernation?  Though if you don't have that enabled either, I be confused.

If you do mean hibernation, does it happen with sleep?

HP Recommended

Got it installed today and seeing the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED variant here with Sleep. Hibernate also doesn't work, but with a different error. This seems to be a pervasive problem based on some other threads I'm seeing. If I come up with a workaround I'll post back, but it's not looking good.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the fighting effort in helping! I currently went back to Windows 7 until a fix can be found. I tried debugging myself, which was a new experience for me since I had never done it before. But I'm tempted to go back with Windows 10 and see if I can try and debug it farther and post what exact process service it was that caused the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.