Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv4
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavilion dv4 (15inch screen), not sure rest of the model #. It's on WIndows 7 Home premium 64 - bit operating system with 4 GM of RAM.

I am looking to increase the RAM and wanted to know if anyone knows the maximum  I can expand to and also if there is 1 or 2 card slots for the memory? Any help would be appreciated. Ideally looking to make it 8 GB or RAM if possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The T6500 processor was only used on the dv4-1000 series so this is a pretty good indication you are already at the max memory. The dv4-2000 used first gen Intel Core processors. 

The best speedup on a legacy system like that is a solid state drive, but they are pricey for one with any capacity. If you are really adventurous, you could theoretically install a much stronger Core 2 Duo processor like the T9600. That is a lot of hassle, however and spending money like that on upgrades is not really economically adviseable when you will be buying a new laptop in a year or less anyway, inevitably. New models just have so much more to offer. USB 3.0, SATA-III, faster memory and processors, better battery life. It goes on. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Since you do not know what kind it is I have to assume it is the oldest dv4 series, the dv4-1000. These use Core 2 duo processors and DDR2 memory and belong to a bygone computing era. The max on them is 4 gigs. 

Can you maybe identify the processor you have in the machine? This would narrow it down a bit. If your memory is DDR2, then 8 gigs of it costs an arm and a leg. DDR3 is much more affordable but not used until later models. The dv4-3000 uses 2d generation Intel Core processors and can take up to 8 gigs of DDR3 memory, for example 

All DV4s have two memory slots. 

HP Recommended

I attached a snap shot of the system I am running. I am not sure where to tell if it's a DDR2 or 3? I would say my system is 4 years old.  Please let me know if the below helps.

HP system.jpg

HP Recommended

Sorry, didn't realize you can't open the picture to see better.

It is an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU. T6500 @ 2.10 GHz / 4 GB of RAM, 64-but OS. Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack1

HP Recommended

The T6500 processor was only used on the dv4-1000 series so this is a pretty good indication you are already at the max memory. The dv4-2000 used first gen Intel Core processors. 

The best speedup on a legacy system like that is a solid state drive, but they are pricey for one with any capacity. If you are really adventurous, you could theoretically install a much stronger Core 2 Duo processor like the T9600. That is a lot of hassle, however and spending money like that on upgrades is not really economically adviseable when you will be buying a new laptop in a year or less anyway, inevitably. New models just have so much more to offer. USB 3.0, SATA-III, faster memory and processors, better battery life. It goes on. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.