Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've been given this machine by a friend to fix and I'm lost.

It was upgraded to windows 10 and then "reset" but during the reset it hung and was restarted so now it's stuck in a boot loop. the HP logo comes up, the screen goes black and then a few seconds later the logo comes up again.

I can get into the recovery options but none of the boot disks I tried worked (I'm not sure which one is best). I can't load anything else because of the UEFI boot lock. I can't launch startup repair or most of the other options because there are no admin users.

Doing another reset doesn't work. it sits at 37% then says there was a problem resetting.

Help!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Bridawg

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome !

What you see could be due to hardware issue (e.g. HDD failure) or due to corrupted recovery partition.

** Is the computer with active warranty  or with warranty expired  ?

** You write it was upgraded to Win 10, but the official specifications says it comes with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. Please, clarify.

Please, perform some basic hardware checks in order to rule out faulty HDD

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button

2. Power it on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one

3. Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

This will check major hardware componets for issue (do it just in case) . Here is more info >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259#AbT1

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform HDD and RAM check.

Let me know the test results. I will then post next instructions

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thanks,

I ran the extensive system test and additionally on some of the storage components - they all passed.

I believe the operating system whichever it is - it never gets far enough to tell me) has been corrupted and I need a way to re-load what was on there originally.

Unfortunately the product is no longer under warranty.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for coming back.

It's good that the hardware tests passed and all is fine re. hardware. You are right, it is related to Windows.

Here are the specs of your PC model > http://support.hp.com/lamerica_nsc_carib-en/product/hp-pavilion-10-n100-x2-detachable-pc/8499312/doc...

They say your PC originally arrived with Windows 10.

Could you elaborate what you meant by writing " It was upgraded to windows 10 "  - it was initially with Windows 10 and was later updated to W10 Anniversary update

or

you had been running it before with older Windows version such as Windows 8 ?

This is important clarification so that I can post you as specific and correct instructions to solve the issues as possible , not generic ones.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thanks for the email. I spoke to my friends and they said all they did was try to reset windows for a new user. They believed it was Windows 8 but no upgrade has taken place.  If you believe it came with windows 10 (and it's only slightly over 1 year old so that seems likely) then I would assume it came with Windows 10 and that they are mistaken.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply @Bridawg and sorry for the slight delay in my reply.

Since the hardware tests passed you will need to use original HP Recovery media to restote the PC to factory default condition (reinstall Windows) as the built-in recovery which was stored on the recovery partition locally on the HDD has failed for some reason.

I could not find anywhere specific to give you a URL to purchase a recovery media from which mean you will have to contact HP Support team or the local HP partner company to get recovery media from.

How to contact HP:

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

>> https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-Pavilion-10-n100-x2-Detachable-PC/8499312/model/9...

Once you receive the media, you need to boot from the USB device you will receive. Please follow this step by step guide on how to complete the recovery >> http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&section=ccweb&SFS=tdoc&language=english...

Hope this works for you. Let me know if you face difficulties.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.