Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

Would anyone be kind enough to post me a link to an idiots guide to change the CMOS battery in my HP G62 laptop?

I am worried about opening the wrong bit :TongueOut:

Many thanks

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of your G62 series notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you

product no is WM954EA#ABU

MODEL G62 -107SA

HP Recommended

Hi,

The CMOS ( RTC ) battery is not easy to replace in your notebook - the full procedure is detailed starting on Page 84 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Are you certain you need to replace this?  The reason I ask is because HP notebooks can display an error like '601 Primary Internal Battery Low' - this error, although it sounds like it should refer to the RTC battery actually refers to the notebooks main battery.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

No, Im not sure, but the date and time are not changing anymore.  When this happens, notebook goes into free fall, after about 20 mins work - pages freeze and flash between each other,  Had bad malware issues, now sorted and only problem left is time/date not changing that then leads to this meltdown.  Am not getting error msgs about either battery, but main battery seems fine.  Machine is about 4 years old.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Just so that I'm certain on this, do you mean the date and time in the Bios keeps resetting?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Sorry, don't know what you mean by Bios.  It's the date and time that sit in the bottom right of my screen that don't change, don't keep up, like a regular clock whose battery is failing.

Just looked at p84,:smileysurprised: does look complicated! Not sure I'm brave enough, though i've got to do something!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as soon as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu, then select f10 to enter the Bios Menu. 

Do both the time and the date look correct?

To exit the bios menu, press esc.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

no! its wrong on there too

system time 18:39:11

system date 08/14/2013

does this mean that I do have to perform open heart surgery?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Go back into the Bios menu and set the correct date and time ( use the arrow keys and enter to navigate ) - when done, press f10 and save the new setings.

Start-up and shutdown the notebook a few times before going back into the bios menu and checking if the date and time are still correct.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.