Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Wouldn't it be nice if having a warranty translated into getting your computer fixed by HP while under warranty?  Mine was under warranty, but they wouldn't fix it.  So I warrantied it myself, by fixing it myself.  Now it works.

HP Recommended
OMG Look at the opening keynote speaker - ironic, isn't it? I wonder if he ever reads these message boards?

http://www.warrantyinnovations.com/agenda.html
HP Recommended

Did you ever have a final picture of all the areas to place the tape and shielding? I did most of it according to the pictures posted but I have yet to see a final picture of exactly how it should be tape and shielded.

Thanks,

Brian

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem with my dv8.  I cleaned the top with alcahol a half hour ago and the wifi is staying on but that is likely to be short lived.  Looks like this is clearly a design/engineering problem with the dv8.  HP must pretend to be clueless else they might face a recall situation. 

Part of the design problem is that we can't turn off the wifi.  So when I use a wireless usb card the machine gets confused between the two then the internal wifi turns on.  HP won't help unless I restore the machine to its original configuration.  this policy save them a lot of warrenty expense.

I've already purchased a new internal wifi card and it solved the problem for about 3 months - then it started again.

Anyone have an update?

Thanks, Gary Blakely

HP Recommended

The only thing that I can suggest here is to apply Brian's/my fix as in the youtube video's. That will correct the intermittent function of the hotkey buttons so that you can properly use your wireless USB card.

Here is the link again to the thread that I started.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/dv8-and-HDX-Series-OSD-Pop-Up-Solution/td-p/816295

If you don't feel comfortable doing the modification your self, a trusted repair shop can easily do it for you.

Another thing that will work is to simply disconnect the hotkey bezel and remove the cable entirely. You must make sure that the Blue WiFi button is on before removing the cable.

Ounce the hot key bezel is disconnected you can switch the WiFi off and on in "Windows Mobility Center" found in the control panel. For easier access you can pin it to the task bar.

The best solution is to do the fix in the video's though.  :Wink:

HP Recommended

Hello,

This model has tons of issues that could be solved, starting from :

battery case lock not closing, 

battery autonomy of about only 1 hour, with plenty useless leds and a second hdd consuming resources

Wifi randomly going on and off, 

touch controls also , 

tone control poping up randomly,

fingerprint device not found at restart,

silver touchpad right button turning black

blue ray rewriter not servicing,

keyboard touches not fitting after cleaning,

heat fan sink quickly needing a cleaning thus completely disassemble the computer,

no keyboard backlight

no SSD but two 300g hdd,

tv tuner in option,

impractical software bundle packed with trial edition softwares but no install  disk

recovery system doubling microsoft's

Blame it on the unusually big screen size, hard to believe it .

##### A once disappointed user got finally over it , after 157 overheating shutdowns
##### DV8 1050es W7x64 HP I7 Q720 Let's believe computers are simple
HP Recommended

Finally I made it work  by just cleaning thoroughly the fan and reinstalling. Now everything is right, after two  years suffering.

##### A once disappointed user got finally over it , after 157 overheating shutdowns
##### DV8 1050es W7x64 HP I7 Q720 Let's believe computers are simple
HP Recommended

I finally took my four fingers on each hand and pressed down on the panel (firmly but not rough) in between the hinge and and the top row of controls (mute button, volume, treble/bass, wifi, etc.) working from one side to the other. I haven't had the problem since --- a few months now. I'm guessing that the large laptop coupled with a poor design causes the laptop to twist (torsionally) when moved and the "non-robust" control panel loses contact --- probably the ground. That would explain why all of these "fixes" work. I don't move it anymore --- pretty poor for a laptop. It's like when Dilbert's company bought laptops to improve productivity but bolted them to the desks to prevent theft.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.