Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Netbook Oavilion 17-f053us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

reA few weeks ago, I had a Windows 10 update. Right after that I couldn't get the log in window. I contacted my Care Plan Techs for help. After several trys and testing my key board it was determined there was something wrong with my keyboard. I had to send it in for repair. When it was returned it came back with Windows 8.1. They told me I could call in to get help installing 10. When I called I was told I had to get Smart Friend. I carry it for my other computer but didnt have it for this. So, I purchased Smart friend. The tech person first started with downloading all the Widows 8 updates which took hours so he left me to do this along with a link for Windows. When the updates were done, I used the link to install Windows 10. Once installed however, I again ran into the problem where I couldn't get the log in window. So, I called for help. They said I should purchase the recovery disk. So, I paid the $69+ for the USB plug in. When it arrived, it wasn't the Windows 10 but Windows 8.1. I installed it however and then went back for help with the Windows 10. The tech started it but went in to do more updates which took hours. Sometime during the updates he left. I went back in to try to do the Windows 10. Again, it wouldn't let me log in. So, I went back to Windows 8.1. However, it went into an update that eventually led to this error message: Error C0000022 applying update operation 233368 of 240094 ( Vagi-) Not sure I couldn't read it right . I couldn't get back into my Windows so I had to do a refresh of my 8.1. I have to reinstall my apps. ( I should mentions that two of the apps I installed before it went into the update were Cyberlink CD' upgrades) . I don't know if should install all my apps: McAfee, Malwarebytes, Office, and Cyberlink upgrades. I have attached a copy of the error message.

IMG_0538.JPG

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

It sounds as though the HP techs are making you go thru the upgrade to Windows 10, which will keep all of the programs that come with the Windows 8.1 install.  If you want to avoid the errors and the extra work involved, you can do a clean install of Windows 10 but the extras from the old install will be absent.  Go to the M$ site on a different computer or the one with Windows 8.1, if it still works, and make the Windows 10 install media.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Click  on the  "Download tool now" tab and then scroll down to the "Using the tool to make installation media"  to  make the install DVD or flash drive.  Then install Windows 10 without using the upgrade option.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Let me get this right.  When I had to do a recovery because the update on Windows 10 caused the problem where the log in window wouldn't come up they had me do a clean install of Windows 8.1 and get all the updates for that program before I could install Windows 10.  However, you are saying I should just download Windows 10 and do a clean install which will removed all of the Windows 8 files. The techs led me to believe I couldn't do an install of Windows 10 without doing the Windows 8 first. As a matter of fact , they had me purchase a USB scan disk with Windows 8.1 on it when I wanted one with Windows 10. So, if I follow the link you are giving me,  I will do a direct install of Windows 10 which will remove all the Windows 8 files. I want to be clear on this before I try that.  I just found I have the same problem with my other computer with a Windows 10 update causeing the log in Window to disappear. Since it's on both of my computers and the same problem happened to another person, I am guessing that Microsoft made a big error with this.

HP Recommended

Yes.  Make the install media by  "scroll down to the "Using the tool to make installation media"  to  make the install DVD or flash drive.  LOOK AT THIS SITE for directions.    If you find that it did not do what you were expecting, then use the HP USB scan disk with Windows 8.1 to put it back to Windows 8.1 and start it all over again.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I had a call from Smart Friend and found out that HP has been in contact with Microsoft regarding this problem with Windows 10 update.  So if anyone on here finds themselves having a problem after the Windows Update it's Microsofts fault! 

HP Recommended

I had a call from Smart Friend and found out that HP has been in contact with Microsoft regarding this problem with Windows 10 update.  So if anyone on here finds themselves having a problem after the Windows Update it's Microsofts fault! 

HP Recommended

I tried to post before and it wouldn't take

HP Recommended

I did that install starting with 8.1 but after doing it three times and not allowing the log in window to come up I give up.  A friend here also ran into the same problem after a Windows 10 update. Now that the tech from Smart Friend told me that HP has been in contact with Microsoft about this problem I believe until Microsoft fixes it I won't be able to go back to Windows 10.  It's just too frustrating.

HP Recommended

You can do a clean install without anything on the drive - no Windows 8.1 or anything and you will not need that Smart Friend either.  I already linked how to do that.  When it is all done and as you want, then you can install the SmartFriend, if you like.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I downloaded the tool but it didn't go onto my USB disk. I moved it by copying it and pasting it on my disk.  I am not real comfortable with going to Bios to change the start up to the disk.  I may call Smart Friend but so far every time they got me started on installing Windows 10 they would go through my system first and do all the 8.1 updates which took forever. Then they would leave me to install the Windows 10 and once installed it didn't give me the log in window. Then they now tell me that the problem was caused by microsofts update for 10. I got used to 10 and hate it that I have to go back to Windows 8.1.  It means I have to do a special installation with my Office 2007 because of compatability issues.  It worked great with 10 but with 8.1 there are problems. This whole issue is disturbing. I want to know if Microsoft is going to fix this. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.