Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've experienced UAC prompt issue as well, and set up a PowerShell script to loop through all of HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ to search and destroy any conflicting ConfigFlag. Might actually be extremely stupid, but I do have some logging enabled, so I know how many configflags that have been reset :)..

If anyone is interested I could try and upload it somewhere, let me know!

HP Recommended

Thanks - worked for me too.

HP Recommended

You mentioned that you were able to resolve the issue with the Lan/Wan switching issue.  I have a 840 G3 running Win 7 Ent x64 and I download the HP Hotkey Support file SP76021 and it still is failing.  Can you let me know which file you used, and if that resolved it for the remainder of the 840G3 that you worked with.

Tks

Mark

HP Recommended

please download Hotkey Application from link below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pgsmkfznt6pi44/setup.exe?dl=0

HP Recommended

Hello,

you can find this Hotkey Support Driver also on HP Supportsite:

https://support.hp.com/de-de/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-840-g3-notebook-pc/7815294/m...

I hope it helps...

Casa

HP Recommended

Ok I am also one of the 'lucky' people in possession of a 840 G3...

It is a nice laptop with decent hardware, good touchpad, good look and feel.

Even battery life is a solid 5 hours most of the time with light usage (nothing like the ridiculous 10 hours that is advertised by HP and which is not really physically possible).

My unit has all sorts of 'little' issues. 

The biggest problem is there seem to be a defect with the brightness regulation. 

It will randomly change brightness by itself. And yes, adaptive brightness etc. is all OFF.

So it will be at 75% brightness, and then suddenly flucuate to 25% (the setting stays the same, I am talking about the ACTUAL brightness, so what I see with my eyes, NOT what the setting says it is at). 

Also it seems to get into two 'modes'. 100% brightness is always 'actual' 100% brightness. But sometimes, 0% brightness is more like 50% brightness instead of 'actual' 0% (get it?) If i use the hotkeys to change brightness, the actual brightness level is sometimes totally random. Clearly, some of the circuitry is not functioning properly. 

In line with that reasoning, there are also issues with USB power delivery, when I plug in a USB hard disk (quite power hungry), and then my phone, the hard disk will start spinning up. Probably because the current consumption peaks and the voltage then drops too low. Also, I get the brightness issues more often when the battery level is low.

Other problems which are worse happened recently. First of all, my wireless adapter disappeared from the system after a resume from stand by. I had to reboot to get it back. It happened at a very stressful and highly inconvenient moment (exam!).

Second, sometimes the system will just shut off while in standby. Not properly, just like a power cut. Because the standby RAM contents are lost (it boots cleanly).

Finally, one time it just shut off while booting into windows. Again, just like 'boom' off. Right before loading the login screen. Clearly, this is a low level hardware or possibly BIOS type issue. Oh yeah, the BIOS.... It is really awful.

Why does this BIOS have absolutely no advanced settings? Cant even change SATA between IDE and AHCI for example.

What the???? My 8560w has WAY more options. Also, there are language and grammar errors in the BIOS. I get the impression the budget for creating this laptop and its firmware was really low. 

Needless to say, this is my last HP product ever. But I still like this laptop enough to use it. The problems outlined really have to be fixed though. If it gets worse I will have to get rid of it.

Does anybody else have issues like the ones I just outlined above?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.