Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Probook 6560b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/zya8mb.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/sfb2uq.jpg[/IMG]

My computer runs Windows 10 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit in a dual boot, my laptop has a ATI 6470M  graphics card.

I was running a game in Windows 10 when "glitches" started occuring on the screen, blue vertical lines in bands on the screen.  I then tried to check for newer drivers, I already had the newest, but tried installing the  Crimson Edition Beta.

Issues seem to get worse, windows would start up fine, but while playing a game the screen would suddenly get these strange blue bands, and when the screen is black the entire screen is filled with blue dots.

I left the laptop running for a while, and when I returned to it the screen was non-responsive, so I rebooted.

Now the blue bands appear already during the hp bios welcome screen before the OS has loaded. What is more, I am unable to log on to Windows 10 in normal mode, as it complains of a "VIDEO TDI FAILURE (atikmpag.sys)" error and stops in a blue screen.
I am able to log on in window s10 in safe mode, and when connected to a external display through VGA adapter, but there are still weird artefacts and bands of blue lines.

The same blue lines appear in windows 7, also here I am only able to log on in safe mode.

In my haste to fix this with a driver issue I am also now not able to uninstall the driver through "add or remove programs" in windows 10, perhaps I should have uninstalled the other driver first.The uninstaller gives an errror message, i think it is "error initalizing" or something similar (I can check when I get home)

I have also tried updating the bios from F.22 to F.61, but this did nothing.

My theory is that the ATI card has in fact suffered a severe hardware malfunciton, as the graphics glitches happen already before the OS has loaded, in the HP bios welcom screen/logo screen immediately after startup. I cannot realistically replace the ATI card, so I am worried that the laptop is now bricked. As the laptop is an I5 2520, I assume it has an Integrated HD3000 Intel Graphics Card, but I have never seen this card in the "Device Manager" , this is in my mind maybe the last option I have, that I can just bypass the ATI card and use the other integrated graphics card, that would be acceptable to me.

I would be eternally grateful if anyone has any suggestions for me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you see the lines on the screen when it is doing the BIOS initializing with the HP logo then it is not a driver problem it is a hardware failure.

In the probooks I've been inside the video is integrated into the motherboard, so odds on the motherboard will need to be replaced to repair your problem.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

If you see the lines on the screen when it is doing the BIOS initializing with the HP logo then it is not a driver problem it is a hardware failure.

In the probooks I've been inside the video is integrated into the motherboard, so odds on the motherboard will need to be replaced to repair your problem.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me, I did some checks on exchanging the motherboard, I am in Norway and will have to order from Sweden, where the board costs around 3500 sek, which is 350 dollars + international shipping+ import duties.

So this unfortunately I have to conclude means that the laptop should not be salvaged, as for that kind of money I can buy a new laptop. 

Any ideas what I can do with the old laptop is greatly appreciated.

It is really unfortunate that so much perfectly good hardware is going to get thrown out because of one malfunctioning chip!

That is a shame, as an I5 laptop with SSD, plenty of ram and a high resolution screen could have kept me happy for several more years. 

I think I might like to go with a laptop with an integrated graphics card next time, certainly I will not be buying anything with an ATI after having read about all the driver problems out there (even though was not a driver issue). The AMD/ATI graphics card is responsible for bricking my 1000 dollar laptop, so I would like not to reward that. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.