Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Greetings!

I am trying to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview this afternoon on my Windows 7 HP laptop and I am being prompted by Micorosft Windows, while trying to install the Technical Preview, to completely remove all HPPTSM applications. 

Now, my issue is that I cannot find how to uninstall them. If you could provide these instructions that would be most apprecitaed. 

Regards,
-Shway

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings to all who may see this. I figured out a way to remove the HP Protect Tools and Manager. Here's how I did it...

1) -went to HP drivers page for my model and downloaded all the Protect Tools software listed. By running these applications I was given the prompt to "repair"/"Remove" of course I chose remove. 

2) an issue came up where one of the installers did not give this promot, and the software on my laptop was out of date and the listed applications on the drivers site were newer than my software. In these circumstaces I updated the software via HP SoftPaq (to make I am not installing versions side by side, SoftPaq will update the current version on your computer for you) and behold once updated the applications were listed in the Add/Remove Programs.

----

NOTE TO HP: UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS DOWNLOAD PAGE! I NEEDED TO UPDATE TO HPPTSM v8. THIS HAD TO OCCUR SO I COULD UPDATE MY CompuTrace APPLICATION IT WON'T INSTALL ON v7 ( & SO IT WOULD SHOW UP IN THE ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS ) 

---

Hope this helps the next person!!!

Regards,
-Shway

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60
HP Recommended

Hi

Follow these steps,
Step 1) Click Start, then "All Programs." Select "HP Protect Tools Security Manager" from the list of programs.
Step 2) Click "Settings." Click the box to the left of the menu. The green check in the box should disappear, which means that the application is disabled.
Step 3) Close the window and restart the computer.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

@ManjunathTech wrote:

Hi

Follow these steps,
Step 1) Click Start, then "All Programs." Select "HP Protect Tools Security Manager" from the list of programs.
Step 2) Click "Settings." Click the box to the left of the menu. The green check in the box should disappear, which means that the application is disabled.
Step 3) Close the window and restart the computer.

Thank you for the reply ManjunathTech,

Just to clarify. I disabled all the applications in the HP Prtect Tools Security Manager, as you have stated above, however when attempting to renistall the Windows 10 Technical Preview I am still prompted to have the HP Protect Tools Security Manager to be uninstalled.  See picture to clarify

Pic2.PNG

Note: There is a system within the Windows 10 Technical Preview that attempts to uninstall it ( the unisatll button in the oicture above, however it fails and a pop up appears stating that to uninstall the HPPTSM I must first uninstall. See next pic

Removed apps.PNG

So I am looking to remove each of those applications. I can't seem to find them in the "HP Software Setup" application, Add/Remove Programs list or the Windows Features list.

Please let me know how this can be cleared up. 

Regards, 
-Shway

HP Recommended

Information about my Enviroment

HP Elitebook 8470w

Windows 7 Professional x64

HP Protect Tools Version 7.0.2.1213

Regards,
-Shway

HP Recommended

Greetings,

I am still looking for a solution.

Thank you
-Shway

HP Recommended

Greetings to all who may see this. I figured out a way to remove the HP Protect Tools and Manager. Here's how I did it...

1) -went to HP drivers page for my model and downloaded all the Protect Tools software listed. By running these applications I was given the prompt to "repair"/"Remove" of course I chose remove. 

2) an issue came up where one of the installers did not give this promot, and the software on my laptop was out of date and the listed applications on the drivers site were newer than my software. In these circumstaces I updated the software via HP SoftPaq (to make I am not installing versions side by side, SoftPaq will update the current version on your computer for you) and behold once updated the applications were listed in the Add/Remove Programs.

----

NOTE TO HP: UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS DOWNLOAD PAGE! I NEEDED TO UPDATE TO HPPTSM v8. THIS HAD TO OCCUR SO I COULD UPDATE MY CompuTrace APPLICATION IT WON'T INSTALL ON v7 ( & SO IT WOULD SHOW UP IN THE ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS ) 

---

Hope this helps the next person!!!

Regards,
-Shway

HP Recommended

and after you installed the new version of HP protecttools windows 10 installer didn't ask you to uninstall anything ?

HP Recommended

Apparently need to uninstall HP Protect Tools in order to install Windows 10. Get error message "Problem occurred" when try to uninstall HP Protect Tools. What now?

HP Recommended

I'm using Windows 7 Pro and there is no "settings" box to the left of hp protect tools . I'd like to finish installing Windows 10. What do I do now?

HP Recommended

install the last version of : hp client security 
ftp://15.216.144.57/ftp2/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63793.exe
than you can upgrade to windows 10

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.