Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I bought one HP laptop two years ago. The model of my laptop is HP Pavilion 15 e066tx. I found bluetooth is not supported by the default wireless card with the model Realtek 8188EE. So I wanted to change the wireless card by BCM4357. But when I booted the laptop after I changed the wireless card, it showed "104-Unsupported wireless network device detected." So I had to change the default wireless card back. I flashed the latest BIOS which was released at April 2014 but it was still no available. So I found there is a wireless card whitelist in the BIOS. If the model of the wireless card is not contained in the BIOS, it will never be supported. I think this laptop model is out of warranty, so I ask for remove the wireless card whitelist from the BIOS or add the model of BCM4357 in the BIOS. Thanks.
29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Hi @moreshare,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

Thank you for joining the HP Forum community.  It is a great resource for information, tips, and solutions that have helped others. Here is a link to First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More as a guide should you have any concerns or questions about the process.

I grasp that you would like to update your wireless card to one that support Bluetooth.  You wished to install the "BCM4357", but after completing the  installation of  the card, you realized that it was not compatible.You tried updating the bios, but there was no change. You would like assistance in altering the bios.

I am not able to assist you with altering the bios, but here is a link to the HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide. Please note chapter 3, page 26, item 20 for the recommended wireless cards replacements, that have been tested and known to work with your model. 

Please let me know the outcome.

When you have resolved your difficulty, would you choose "Accepted Solution" on that post to alert other members and visitors to your success and perhaps help them. To show appreciation for my help. please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Modifying the BIOS is very complicated. If you just need to add bluetooth capability then I would get a bluetooth USB adapter. Also you will find compatable WiFi/BT cards in this service guide.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03939658

HP Recommended

@moreshare wrote:
I bought one HP laptop two years ago. The model of my laptop is HP Pavilion 15 e066tx. I found bluetooth is not supported by the default wireless card with the model Realtek 8188EE. So I wanted to change the wireless card by BCM4357. But when I booted the laptop after I changed the wireless card, it showed "104-Unsupported wireless network device detected." So I had to change the default wireless card back. I flashed the latest BIOS which was released at April 2014 but it was still no available. So I found there is a wireless card whitelist in the BIOS. If the model of the wireless card is not contained in the BIOS, it will never be supported. I think this laptop model is out of warranty, so I ask for remove the wireless card whitelist from the BIOS or add the model of BCM4357 in the BIOS. Thanks.

FYI just cause the bios is 2014 when it was made two years ago it was 2012 and they most likely never changed the wifi whitelist since that time. So the system laptop had to be made with Win8 or later part of 2013 to have no whitelist. You should look closely at the Service Manual link to see what is accepted wifi for your system. Modded BIOS is not something we support or help with.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended

@moreshare

For this reason the BIOS Whitelist can not be changed.

Federal Communications Commission notice

This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules.

These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation.

This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications.

However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation.

If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:

This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:

This device may not cause harmful interference, and

This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.

REO

HP Recommended

whole world **bleep**s on USA FCC **bleep**, we have own rules, own regulations 😛 so use whitelist for USA, noobs 😛

HP Recommended

also i want add sata raid minipcie card into my laptop and stupid HP says 104 incompatible wifi adapter 😄 ill go buy asus - there is no vendor block, stupid HP crap

HP Recommended

@p1_p1_p1

Sorry but Asus has to follow the same FCC Regulations.

IMG_0157[1].jpg

REO

HP Recommended

@p1_p1_p1

What model HP are you trying to add the card to???

REO

HP Recommended

but asus has no stupid whitelist and every card is working there 😛

i have just tried ASUS and sata card works normally,

toshiba - card works normally,

acer - works

hp elitebook 840,850 ... - doesnt works,

hp probook 4320,4440,4520,4530, 11xx - doesnt work 🙂

i dunno why is hp so stupid, sata raid card isnt working in that slot, so when i remove original wifi and replace it with same card from another notebook (acer, lenovo etc. i get 104 message too 😄 ) so this looks like corporate fight  instead of some fcc, and it is technically difficult to replace old faulty wifi card 🙂 without bios mod or wifi card eeprom id reflash 😛

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.