Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7-6b63us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to get my laptop working again.  It was super slow so I tried do a reset.  Now I get the error that says:

An operating system wasn't found

I bought the laptop from Bestbuy back in 2012.  It didn't come with a disk for an operating system.  It originally came with Windows 7 which I upgraded to Windows 8 and then to Windows 10.  I can't find my recovery disc.  

What do I do?  

Do I need to buy a Windows 10 Operating System to be able to boot?  Will this work?  Can I download Windows 10 from microsoft and save to a DVD to use?

Do I have to buy an HP Recovery disc?  I don't want to waste time or money with solutions that won't work.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@kdumas123

The Win10 Upgrade is know to corrupt the Recovery partition stored there by the OEM that built the original machine. This pretty much guarantees that no HP Recovery is going to work: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-Recovery-Manager-Blocked-After-Windo...

This means that RESET no longer works on your laptop due to your doing the Win10 Upgrade.

To actually restore your PC to its original condition, you need something known as HP Recovery Media -- but that would restore it back to its original OS, in this case, Win7.

Since you have already upgraded your PC to Win10, it has been registered with MS through their activation servers.  This means you can reinstall Win10 on it, and it will reactivate automatically.

You can make Win10 installation media using this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Once you have that, boot from it and reinstall Win10.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I don't have a product key for Windows 10.  I believe my computer upgraded to 10 without me even telling it to.  The only product key I have is for Windows 8.  I downloaded 8.1 from Microsoft but I'm not sure if I really need to download Windows 8 and then upgrade to 8.1 and then to 10 for it to work properly.  

I tried putting a USB in the laptop with the Windows 8.1 ISO but nothing happened when I tried to restart. 

Any advice?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.