Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I was given a Hp mini110-1030NR. The mini does work and I haven't had any problems yet, however, I would like to restore the item back to the factory settings. I don't want a recovery, but a restore. They are different. I need to wipe all previous owner identifcation from the computer before I can pass it on to my granddaughter. The mini does not have any cd slot so I know it can not be done that way. I did not get any papers or materials with the mini, just the mini. So, any advise or instruction would be greatly helpful.

Thank you,

Lillian

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Lillian,

Here are the original specs for your newly acquired HP Mini 110-1030NR Computer. According to the specs, this model came with Windows XP Home Edition SP3 installed from the factory. Please confirm for us, that the computer is still running original operating system or it has been changed. Also indicate if the factory HP Recovery partition is still intact on this computer.

Returning the computer to the original factory settings is called a "System Recovery" by HP and will wipe all the previous owner's information from the computer.

Please see "Using System Recovery, Factory Reset and Minimized Image Recovery Options" and "Recover Windows XP Operating System On Mini Notebook Using HP Recovery" to perform a system recovery, if it is available on this computer.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Frank,

In reference to: "Please confirm for us, that the computer is still running original operating system or it has been changed."

At this point I believe the computer is complete with the original OS, "XP SP3". It appears to have 2 individuals access files. One the administrator and the other an user. The administrator has restricted access due to password requirement which I don't have. I know I can get around this by doing the restore process, but, I have never done a restore with a hp computer without the restore cds. It probably would be easier to do everything with having the password but my friend doesn't have the password and her daughter forgot it! I don't want anything that would not be acceptable for my granddaughter popping up on this little computer. 

In reference to: "Also indicate if the factory HP Recovery partition is still intact on this computer."

I don't see a partition mention anywhere as of yet, however, hp has that set up differently. Since I can not access the administrator section and only the user, perhaps the partition is not accessibly. I am not sure about that one.

I will check out the information you have listed for more understanding.

Thank you,

Lillian

HP Recommended

Hello again,

I did manage to get into the administrator account. LOL! I figured out the password. I have known these people for years!

I do not see a partition associated with this computers hard drive. When I start the computer and select the F10 as instructed that only takes me to the Bios screen, not a recovery screen. So now this is the question? How to restore/recovery to factory settings without a disc? The system does allow for XP recovery, but that is not a complete wipe of the hard drive and reset to factory or new status. A recovery allows for files to be saved, I don't want anything on the computer lurking in the hidden segments of this computer. That is why I wanted a complete reset. I have had to do other computers before, but they all had disc. So, back to the beginnning again. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lillian

HP Recommended

Looking over the specs, it appears is model shipped with something called "Roxio BackOn Track Recovery" which doesn't provide for typically HP recovery options. Your best bet will be to contact HP Custome Support and request HP Recovery Discs or USB Recovery Media for this model. You can also order HP Recovery Discs from third party vendor ComputerSurgeons.com. To use the recovery discs, you will need a  USB CD/DVD drive.

Good luck

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended
I have the same problem and the password is long gone.
HP Recommended

@Ellbell717

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I Understand you need information on reimaging the windows as the password isn't working anymore,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you followed the steps mentioned in the same post?

What is the product number of your product? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

Did you check the MIE creator to reimage the PC?

If you haven't, here's the MIE creator to re-image the computer and after a lot of research,  

I've found what appears to be a 3rd party link: Click here to find a solution

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,  

mark my post as Accepted Solution. 

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.