Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Running Windows 7 Pro (64 Bit).

When I change the screen to Tablet Mode

(Folding tablet over keyboard and using as tablet).

I lock my computer.

2.  What to know how to unlock without having to Open back up and use the CTL-Alt-DEL keys.

When Locked screen shows:  Press CTRL-ALT-DEL or use the Windows Security Button to unlock this computer.

I would like to use the Windows Button on the bottom of the screen

(One Used in Windows 8 to change between Desktop and Metro) to Unlock screen And bring up on screen keyboard to put in my password.

This is probably how it should work, but it does not work.

Even bringing up the onscreen keyboard via the blue power button On the screen to Ease Of Access does not work.

The CLT-ALT-DEL on the on screen keyboard will not unlock the screen.

P.S.

Where is that Windows Security Button when you need it? 

Thanks,

Rog

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

If you are using Windows 7 (not Windows 8), you should be able to touch the Ease of Access button at the lower left of the screen, then select Type without the keyboard (On-screen keyboard). When the on-screen keyboard pops-up, press CTRL, then ALT, then DEL. You should get a password prompt; the on-screen keyboard will stay visible unless and until you close it.

------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
HP Recommended

*** We are using the Windows 7 64 bit version not windows 8.

I have tried the CTRL-ALT-DEL on the onscreen keyboard.  The CTRL-ALT works but the DEL does nothing.  Even the keybard letters don't seem to be doing anything when pressing them.  At least the CTRL-ALT seem to work as the keys change colors when they are pressed.

It seems maybe a driver is missing that allows windows to show the Button Tab in the PC Tablet Settings in control panel.  This Button Tab is missing.  Others on the web suggest going into that TAB and checking the settings, but that tab is missing.

Roger

HP Recommended

What you're describing is what I saw on trying this with Windows 8. In Windows 7, it worked for me.

Now, because this worked for me when I tried it - I didn't try the one other suggestion I READ somewhere, which was to take UAC down to the lowest or next-to-lowest setting, or disable it altogether. Are you able to give that a try?

I don't actually have a Revolve 810 and had to borrow one; let me know if this works or doesn't, for you. I can try to borrow it again, if needed! 🙂

------------

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
HP Recommended
The current UAC is at the lowest setting. You mention in Widows 7 it worked for you. Do you mean that when you locked the PC in tablet mode, pressing the Windows button allowed the UserName / Password screen to be shown?

Also when you do lock the machine do you see the message Press CTRL-ALT-DEL or press the Windows Security button to unlock this computer.
HP Recommended

@Rogoflap wrote:
The current UAC is at the lowest setting. You mention in Widows 7 it worked for you. Do you mean that when you locked the PC in tablet mode, pressing the Windows button allowed the UserName / Password screen to be shown?

Also when you do lock the machine do you see the message Press CTRL-ALT-DEL or press the Windows Security button to unlock this computer.

In this image, you can see that I'm using the Windows 7 Professional image (same one we ship out on the Revolve 810). All I have done, here, is to enable the Ease of Access on-screen keyboard (which you see at the top) using the dialog shown at the bottom (make sure that the box is checked, then click OK - the keyboard should pop up, and pressing CTRL, then ALT, then DEL should work fine. Don't try to press all three together - just press them in sequence. I've tested this, now, on two different units with two different BIOS versions, one joined to the domain (and as local admin AND as logged in admin user); and on one that is not joined to the domain).

WP_20130620_004.jpg

This is what you should see on the screen (the top keyboard is the Ease of Access keyboard; the regular on-screen keyboard also pops up, at this point, and you can use either one):

WP_20130620_005.jpg

Now, a couple of things I noticed while making sure this always worked - things that could make it appear NOT to work:

1. If you're in landscape mode, the on-screen keyboard may be covering or partially covering the login prompt. You can touch the top bar and try dragging it around the screen to expose the login prompt, or do this in portrait mode (where the text box is usually visible).

2. If you've ever attempted or done this before, the on-screen keyboard will not automatically appear, even though it's enabled. You will need to disable it and re-enable it to get it to show up again.

This workaround for CTRL+ALT+DEL will NOT work on a Windows 8 unit (the DEL key does nothing when pressed after CTRL+ALT). In Windows 8, you should only need to press the Windows logo key and power button together - this is related to Microsoft requirements for products that ship with Windows 8, which is an option with this one (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj128256.aspx).

------------

HP Recommended

I appreciate the screen shots that is helpful.

I have tried the on screen keyboard via the Ease of use. 

I did the CTRl  then ALT then tried using the DEL.  Nothing happens.  The CTRL is highlighted, then the the CTRL and ALT are highlighted, but when clicking on the DEL nothing happens.

Are you saying then that you could never get the Windows Buttong on the Monitor to be the Windows Security Button thus allowing the tablet to unlock using it?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Thank you - I'm glad the screenshots were helpful. I'm sorry, though, that you're still having the same problem! I will check into this further; but in the meantime, are you using the same Windows 7 Professional system image that shipped on the unit, or have you reimaged the system with a corporate image?

------------

HP Recommended
This is the same imaged shipped. I did however update all the HP software and drivers via the Technical support website for the Windows 7 64 bit Revolve 810 G1.

This was done thinking maybe a driver was not updated and was causing the issue.
HP Recommended
Can you tell me the BIOS version? (fn+ESC should get it)
------------

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.