Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I called HP myself to ask about warranty query I had so thought I bring up the "won't shut down/wake up" issue. 

The guy told me that Microsoft are working on it and we should have something as soon as possible.

Basically wait it out (my words, not his, but he agreed) and check Windows Update daily. 

I actually saw an article on HP site stating that as of 2013, all driver updates will come through Windows Update. 

(Maybe wouldn't hurt to go to your Device Manager and check for updates???)

Also, just noticed that the small print on HP's Windows 10 Upgrade info page states:

"May require additional hardware, drivers, software and/or BIOS update. See www.hp.com/go/windows10upgrade"

Shame they didn't highlight that or include the additional updates with the upgrade. :Crying:

HP Recommended

@ dOn: I did look under Windows 8.1 and reinstall the latest BIOS version from there (I already had the latest version installed before upgrading to Windows 10).  Not a permanent fix for this issue unfortunately.

HP Recommended

Already have them updates, and I still have the problem.

Trying switching your laptop on and off a few times... My guess is the problem will return!

HP Recommended

Sorry it wasn't a permanent fix, Dan! I'm glad that we have some confirmation that Windows is working on it! Thank @HPkeri for letting us know. Guess all we can do is wait, and hope Hard shut downing our computers won't do any major harm.

HP Recommended

I think when i restart my laptop and then try to shut it down it goes off properly. You should try 🙂

HP Recommended

Just rememebered...

On a Microsoft Post I am following on this lovely issue of ours, someone posted that holding down the shift button when they select shut down and remain holding it until the computer is off has helped them shut it down completely, without a hard shut down.

Haven't tried it myself yet... just an FYI. Can't hurt more than a hard shut down!?! (I hope)

HP Recommended

@HPKeri good find! I don't think anything can get much worse than hard restarting like you said. I'll try it soon, hopefully this will be a temp fix to hard shutting down until we get the update we need! Good work!

HP Recommended

It should be illegal to ship a new version of something to the general public without not knowing for sure that mostly everything works. We are not talking about a minor software issue, but a major one that is forcing most of us to hard reset our laptops and lose all the work that was being done before we closed the lid. So the excuse of "may require addiotional blablabla" doesn't work for me, I can't build a car and then expect people to test it out because they might die due to big security holes and then say that since it is a new car it might require a few recalls and stuff (A radical example but this is what I mean)

I understand that a brand new software may not work great at first but this is not something they should've missed :indifferent:

HP Recommended

I agree with your frustration...just by doing a simple google search you can see people had the issue in the BETA. The fact that Windows and Microsoft have yet to address this issue that came up MONTHS ago worries me that they may still be finding solution so we could be waiting months, months some of us don't have. I'm really hoping HP and Microsoft are putting this issue at the top of their list. Also, it only seems that people with an intel processor are having this issue, so I wonder what that is all about. I guess we wait. 

HP Recommended

Try this - 

1. Download and install the Graphics (Video) driver softpaq for your PC from HP.COM (http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html)

Video driver updates are also available through Windows Update.  However, Microsoft has them tagged as “Optional” so you'll need to do the following in order to apply them:

1. Update the driver via Windows Update
    1. Choose Windows + X (or right click on the Windows Start Button in lower left)
    2. Choose “Device Manager”
    3. Expand “Display Adapters”
    4. Right Click on the listing for the Graphics device
    5. Choose “Update Driver Software”
    6. Choose “Search Automatically for Updated Display Driver”
    7. Follow the prompts to install the updated driver and reboot.  The driver should be automatically installed.
    8. After a Restart, the power modes should work normally.
------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.