Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Notebook 17 has been working fine for over 2 weeks now since I accidently pioneered the revert to 8.1 and then go back to 10 process.

I've had automatic updates for MS and HP enabled from day 1 and have installed everything that came my way.

IME driver is 9.5....

HP Recommended

Changed my IME to 10... something. Went to sleep. Woke back up. Has been working fine since yesterday.

Thanks to whoever figured this out.

No thanks to HP, I'll be staying away from their **bleep**ty customer service from now on.

HP Recommended

NO NEED TO REVERT TO W8.1/W7 AND THEN UPGRADE TO W10 thats just a pain in the ****.

Intel MEI version 9.5 whatever thats it ! DONE!

You can find the driver on HP's own site for your model under W10 if not change it to W8.1 and use that driver, just make sure its 9.5 whatever, ver 10. may work fine too.

Fine now for 3 days 🙂

HP Recommended

I am not sure how this fix works.

I was one of the first to comment on these boards about this problem when I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 (under a different user name)

I reverted back to Windows 8.1 after 7 days of hell.

I've just checked the driver I have and it is the one you are all referring to: 9.5.24.1790

http://i61.tinypic.com/210j5eh.jpg

So how can this be a fix for Windows 10? Or is the new more up to date driver being installed during the Windows 10 update? And you then need to revert back to the old one 9.5.24.1790 to fix the problem with sleep and shutting down the laptop - BTW I can't update to another driver I apprently have the current one and I can't roll back the one I have?

So does a new driver install with the Windows 10 update?

HP Recommended

Yes, when you upgrade to Windows 10 a new driver is automatically installed. That's why you need to revert to the older driver to resolve the issue.

HP Recommended

Those were awsome directions.  However, my rollback was grayed out.  I wasn't about to disable or uninstall - yet.  I do have the 11... driver.  Not sure what to do now.  Any suggestions?  Again, thank you so much - was never in the system devices.

HP Recommended

@dnhlr wrote:

Those were awsome directions.  However, my rollback was grayed out.  I wasn't about to disable or uninstall - yet.  I do have the 11... driver.  Not sure what to do now.  Any suggestions?  Again, thank you so much - was never in the system devices.

Yup...  I'll post a walkthrough shortly!  🙂

HP Recommended

OK, here we go!!  Please correct any issues or typos.

--------------------------------------------------

HOW TO RESOLVE POST-WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE ISSUES ON HP LAPTOPS

----------

After upgrading your HP laptop to Windows 10, you may notice any or all of the following issues:

• System hangs when attempting to sleep or shut down, particularly after long periods of use.
  • TouchPad settings do not save across sessions.
  • Wi-Fi connection is unstable and constantly disconnects and reconnects.

Follow the steps below to resolve these issues.

----------

NOTE #1: My laptop model is the HP ENVY 15-u010dx x360.  These fixes should work on most HP laptop models with similar specs and features, but please consult your manual and check for drivers that are compatible with your system.

NOTE #2: A very special thanks to Zoomelliott, Sibu16, re4med, and everyone on the HP Support Forums (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Windows-10-Laptop-won-t-go-into...) who helped troubleshoot these issues and worked together to discover the solutions!

----------

HOW TO RESOLVE SLEEP/SHUTDOWN ISSUES

1. Download version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.
  2. Download the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package (http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab).
  3. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Automatic (Delayed Start) to Manual.
    • In the Control Panel, select Administrative Tools and open Services.
    • Scroll down to Windows Update and double-click it to bring up its properties.
    • Click Stop to stop the service from running.
    • Change the Startup Type to Manual and click OK.
  4. Install version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  If you receive a dialog warning about replacing a newer version of the software, accept it.
    • NOTE: You do NOT need to uninstall version 11 before installing version 9 or 10.  The presence of some version of the driver is required in order to "upgrade" (or in this case downgrade) it.
  5. Run the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package and hide updates to the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  (Doing so will block your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for version 11 of the driver.)
  6. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Manual back to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  7. Restart your computer.
  8. Rejoice!  You can finally sleep and shut down again.  🙂

----------

HOW TO RESOLVE TOUCHPAD SETTING RESET ISSUES

1. Download version 18 of the Synaptics TouchPad Driver and Software.
    • Navigate HP's Software and Driver Downloads site (http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html) to find the latest approved driver for your model.  Filter by version, selecting Microsoft Windows 8.1 on the dropdown menu.  Look for the download in the "Driver-Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices" category.  If a Synaptics driver with a version number starting in 18 is listed, download it.
    • If a Synaptics driver with a version number starting in 18 is NOT listed, download the driver directly from HP (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp68001-68500/sp68198.exe).
  2. Download the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package (http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab).
  3. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Automatic (Delayed Start) to Manual.
  4. Uninstall version 19 of the Synaptics TouchPad Driver.
    • In the Control Panel, select Device Manager.
    • Click the "+" next to "Mice and Other Pointing Devices" to expand that category.
    • Double-click on the Synaptics SMBus TouchPad to bring up its properties.
    • Navigate to the Driver tab and click Uninstall.
    • Check the box to delete the driver software for this device, then click OK to uninstall.
  5. Uninstall version 19 of the Synaptics TouchPad Software (HP Control Zone).
    • In the Control Panel, select Programs and Features.
    • Scroll down to HP Control Zone (published by Synaptics Incorporated) and uninstall it.
  6. Restart your computer.
  7. Install version 18 of the Synaptics TouchPad Driver and Software.
  8. Run the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package and hide updates to the Synaptics TouchPad Driver.  (Doing so will block your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for version 19 of the driver.)
  9. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Manual back to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  10. Restart your computer again.
  11. Rejoice!  Your TouchPad settings will finally save across sessions again.  🙂

----------

HOW TO RESOLVE WI-FI CONNECTION INSTABILITY ISSUES

NOTE: This issue applies specifically to Intel 7260/3160 Wireless LAN cards.  Do not follow these steps if your model does not include one of these cards.

1. Download the latest version of the Intel 7260/3160 Wireless LAN Driver – currently version 17.16.2.1 Rev. P (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71531.exe).
  2. Install the driver update.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Rejoice! Your Wi-Fi connection will finally be stable.  🙂

--DanG

HP Recommended

@dnhlr wrote:

1. Go here:

http://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/ (UK URL but it should load yours)

2. Use Identify Now or enter your model in the box provided.

3. Once on your driver page for your model. Where it says your operating system click "edit" and change it to Windows 8.1

4. Under "Driver-Chipset" download "Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver" it should be a ver 9.4 or 9.5 maybe ver 10.

32bit or 64bit? the page should auto decect your version of Windows 10.

5. Once its downloaded click it to install.

6. Reboot the laptop.

7. Right click start, select "Device Manger" click "System Devices" look for Intel(R) Management Engine Interface click it switch the tab to "Driver" to see what version you now have.

8. Once back set your sleep timer if you disabled it.

Test and try should be fine now.

HP Recommended

OK, here we go!!  Please correct any issues or typos.

HOW TO RESOLVE POST-WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE ISSUES ON HP LAPTOPS

----------

After upgrading your HP laptop to Windows 10, you may notice any or all of the following issues:

• System hangs when attempting to sleep or shut down, particularly after long periods of use.
  • TouchPad settings do not save across sessions.
  • Wi-Fi connection is unstable and constantly disconnects and reconnects.

Follow the steps below to resolve these issues.

----------

NOTE #1: My laptop model is the HP ENVY 15-u010dx x360.  These fixes should work on most HP laptop models with similar specs and features, but please consult your manual and check for drivers that are compatible with your system.

NOTE #2: A very special thanks to Zoomelliott, Sibu16, re4med, and everyone on the HP Support Forums (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Windows-10-Laptop-won-t-go-into...) who helped troubleshoot these issues and worked together to discover the solutions!

----------

HOW TO RESOLVE SLEEP/SHUTDOWN ISSUES

1. Download version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.
  4. Install version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  If you receive a dialog warning about replacing a newer version of the software, accept it.
    • NOTE: You do NOT need to uninstall version 11 before installing version 9 or 10.  The presence of some version of the driver is required in order to "upgrade" (or in this case downgrade) it.
  5. Run the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package and hide updates to the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  (Doing so will block your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for version 11 of the driver.)
  6. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Manual back to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  7. Restart your computer.
  8. Rejoice!  You can finally sleep and shut down again.  🙂

----------

HOW TO RESOLVE TOUCHPAD SETTING RESET ISSUES

1. Download version 18 of the Synaptics TouchPad Driver and Software.
    • Navigate HP's Software and Driver Downloads site (http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html) to find the latest approved driver for your model.  Filter by version, selecting Microsoft Windows 8.1 on the dropdown menu.  Look for the download in the "Driver-Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices" category.  If a Synaptics driver with a version number starting in 18 is listed, download it.
    • If a Synaptics driver with a version number starting in 18 is NOT listed, download the driver directly from HP (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp68001-68500/sp68198.exe).
  4. Uninstall version 19 of the Synaptics TouchPad Driver.
    • In the Control Panel, select Device Manager.
    • Click the "+" next to "Mice and Other Pointing Devices" to expand that category.
    • Double-click on the Synaptics SMBus TouchPad to bring up its properties.
    • Navigate to the Driver tab and click Uninstall.
    • Check the box to delete the driver software for this device, then click OK to uninstall.
  5. Uninstall version 19 of the Synaptics TouchPad Software (HP Control Zone).
    • In the Control Panel, select Programs and Features.
    • Scroll down to HP Control Zone (published by Synaptics Incorporated) and uninstall it.
  6. Restart your computer.
  7. Install version 18 of the Synaptics TouchPad Driver and Software.
  8. Run the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package and hide updates to the Synaptics TouchPad Driver.  (Doing so will block your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for version 19 of the driver.)
  9. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Manual back to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  10. Restart your computer again.
  11. Rejoice!  Your TouchPad settings will finally save across sessions again.  🙂

----------

HOW TO RESOLVE WI-FI CONNECTION INSTABILITY ISSUES

NOTE: This issue applies specifically to Intel 7260/3160 Wireless LAN cards.  Do not follow these steps if your model does not include one of these cards.

1. Download the latest version of the Intel 7260/3160 Wireless LAN Driver – currently version 17.16.2.1 Rev. P (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71531.exe).
  2. Install the driver update.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Rejoice! Your Wi-Fi connection will finally be stable.  🙂

--DanG

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.