Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Think I shall wait on carry on with WIndows 8.1, it might not be the best OS but god it's stable for my laptop!

HP Recommended

Agree with u? This is what I have done!

Spoiler
Spoiler
:mansad:

HP Recommended

@desperado2 wrote:

Hello from Greece. Sun, sea, beach ,and as for windows 10 hp Notebook and we do not care for the moment as there are girls on the beach

Hahaha, post of the thread right there... but what in the heck are you doing on this forum right now?!  Toss that notebook into the sea and enjoy the reset of your day!  😉

@Little_Old_Me wrote:

Unfortunately the sleep issue has returned yet again after the IME update...

Did you follow the steps to block Windows from automatically updating the IME driver back to v11?  If not, that's likely your issue.  After you downgrade to v9 or v10, Windows Update will automatically "upgrade" you back to the faulty v11 unless you block it from doing so.

See here for more.  Good luck!

@Oranxess wrote:

hahahahaha . Guys I've been following this thread for a while now , but I can't read the entire thing could someone please tell us how close we are to find a soloution for this ? 

We've got one!  See here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Windows-10-Laptop-won-t-go-into...

HP Recommended

I'm too stupid to live.

I'm not even able to find the dropdown menu to select Widows 8.1

HP Recommended

Wasn't easy but I managed to fumble through this and it seems to be working.

I was unable to find the driver for the MEI until I simply googled it and found the download page.

For some reason the supplied link wasn't taking me to a page where I could define an effective search.

The other challenge I had - which leads me to think I might have only a temp fix is that when I launched the "Show and Hide Updates Troubleshooter" and on the Hide Updates option I was not given an option to hide updates to the MEI.

Given that I kept my Windows Update Services on Manual and will do so for a month or so and see if Microsoft comes up with a long term solution to this.

What a nightmare for someone with limited computer skills.

HP Recommended

My system is: HP ENVY 15 x360 PC  x64-based PC updated from 8.1 to 10 via the Windows update function

When I went to the  HP "software and drivers" page as per the instructions a few pages back to download the proper Intel driver, the mesage I get after putting my product number in and choosing Windows 8.1 (and also when i do it for Windows 10) is this message: 

"We were unable to retrieve the list of drivers for your product.  Please select the desired operating system and select “Update” to try again."

So, nothing appears for me to select. I see no way to navigate within that HP section to 'chipset' as the instructions referred to--there was nothing to chose and nowhere to go. 

I want to do the download from HP rather than going to Intel--I'm not as sophisticated of a user as many here seem to be.

So, what's up--HP site just down for now? Try later?

Immediate Question: Where/how can I look to see what version of the Intel driver is on my system now? 

Long-term questions: What are the longer-term ramifications of applying this fix, assuming I can? To wit:

1. What else does this Intel driver affect?

2. What about shutting off downloads for it from Intel (after applying the W10 update modication utility, something I want to do anyway for other reasons):  What if Intel makes a fix to the driver and issues a new driver -- let's call it "12" --that doesn't have the sleep/shutdown problem? Aren't I going to miss out on this by not even seeing the download availability and not getting it? Related to #1, if this this Intel driver affects others things, by missing out on "12" I'll miss out on the other things "12" would do for my system (assuming it's a good, beneficial update).

Thank you to everyone who's shared your knowledge and expertise about this issue so far.

HP Recommended

To be very honest people, it is almost impossible to point out a finger and say THIS IS THE PROBLEM. Sure that Dan's method of downgrading the MEI has been the most helpful fix so far since it has lasted us longer than 1 day, compared to downgrading Intel HD Graphics or updating BIOS that lasted mere hours. But that does not mean the problem lies there.

So I suggest that at the moment just do what Dan said and wait for an official word from HP/Intel/Microsoft.

As for the guy asking about how he would know about the "12th" update, i'd say just keep checking the Intel/HP website for drivers. Or, you can try your luck on HP Support Assistant as well: check for updates in Action log and choose whether you want to install them or not.

I know my response might not be sounding convenient to everyone but we need to be patient. I am afraid that's all one can do for now.

HP Recommended

Oh my god, don't tell me the problem for you guys still isnt fixed....i think its about 3 weeks now and my laptop still does not have any issues..

HP Recommended

WOW! i just became teacher ranked xD

HP Recommended

@hpltprinterguy: Open the Control Panel, choose Device Manager, expand the System Devices category, double-click on Intel(R) Management Engine Interface, and go to the Driver tab.  Your driver version number will be listed.

Version 11 is the one causing the sleep and shutdown issues.  You'll want to downgrade to version 9 or 10... but be sure to follow my instructions on how to block Windows Update from automatically reinstalling v11.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/How-to-Resolve-Post-Windows-10-...

As for being unable to pull up v9 or v10 of the driver on HP's site, you and I have the same basic computer model so the direct link I provided in those steps (here) should work for you.

Good luck!

@bLizZaRd_95 wrote:

To be very honest people, it is almost impossible to point out a finger and say THIS IS THE PROBLEM. Sure that Dan's method of downgrading the MEI has been the most helpful fix so far since it has lasted us longer than 1 day, compared to downgrading Intel HD Graphics or updating BIOS that lasted mere hours. But that does not mean the problem lies there.

So I suggest that at the moment just do what Dan said and wait for an official word from HP/Intel/Microsoft.

Everyone on these forums who has reverted to v9 or v10 of the MEI driver has been consistently able to sleep and shut down properly.  It clearly appears to be v11 of that driver that's causing these issues.

You're absolutely right that Microsoft, Intel, or HP needs to provide "official word" -- and more importantly, a newer driver (v12) that actually works properly.  But in the meantime, following the steps I posted (which were developed with the collaboration of a bunch of users here) to downgrade to v9 or v10 and block Windows Update from reinstalling v11 should do the trick.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.