Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
  1. Download version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.
  2. Navigate HP's Software and Driver Downloads site (http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html) to find the latest approved driver for your model.  Filter by version, selecting Microsoft Windows 8.1 on the dropdown menu.  Look for the download in the "Driver-Chipset" category.  If an MEI driver with a version number starting in 9 or 10 is listed, download it.  [Version 9.5.24.1790 1.5M (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66001-66500/sp66228.exe) will work for most models.]
  1. Download the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package (http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab).
  2. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Automatic (Delayed Start) to Manual.
  3. In the Control Panel, select Administrative Tools and open Services.
  • Scroll down to Windows Update and double-click it to bring up its properties.
  • Click Stop to stop the service from running.
  • Change the Startup Type to Manual and click OK.
  1. Install version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  If you receive a dialog warning about replacing a newer version of the software, accept it.
  2. NOTE: You do NOT need to uninstall version 11 before installing version 9 or 10.  The presence of some version of the driver is required in order to "upgrade" (or in this case downgrade) it.
  3. Run the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package and hide updates to the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  (Doing so will block your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for version 11 of the driver.)
  4. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Manual back to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  5. Restart your computer.
  6. Rejoice!  You can finally sleep and shut down again. 

but do i need to run services again because i stopped it and see no point changing manual to automatic without running it.

HP Recommended

never mind, it does it automaticaly, but anyway, I think you found the solution, my laptop is fine again, its hp notebook 15 by the way and it can sleep again, even after i left it on all night!

HP Recommended

I'd recommend switching the Windows Update service back to Automatic (Delayed Start) once you've blocked the MEI update so other system, software, and driver updates can install automatically -- particularly important security updates.  If you leave it on Manual, you'll need to check for and install all updates manually.

HP Recommended

Ok, disregard my latest post. It turns out that whatever happened in that post was temporary and that the solution I used that has been working for mostly everyone is still working. Last night I shut down my laptop and it worked. It must have been something with the most recent update to Windows 10 where I had to shut down to have something take effect. After that shut down, everything seems to be normal now. I can sleep and shut down perfectly still.

HP Recommended

Sounds like everyone with Intel Processors are Ok. Hope they find a solution for us with AMD processors soon!!

HP Recommended
Same problem here. I installed all updates, BIOS, forward, etc and still not working. It randomly will work but more not than so.......
HP Recommended

This didn't work for me.  I got the same result as trying to put it to sleep using the power button.  The monitor goes off, but the laptop stays on, and there is no way to wake up the monitor after it goes dark.  Really hoping Windows or HP figures this out fast!

HP Recommended
This is ridiculous and they wonder why every windows OS release tanks. I never have such crappy issues with a Linux distribution liker Ubuntu.
HP Recommended

I am not sure if anyone is still having this issue, but i came across this on another and it has fixed the problem

http://www.technipages.com/windows-10-pc-wont-go-to-sleep-mode

i guess since i use one drive and have a media server running in back, guess that was issue. i havent had any issues since i chnaged the setting and sleep mode works just fine now.

HP Recommended

Above^^^^ didn't work for me.

Alternative method: I went into BIOS and turned off "IntelVirtualization Technology (also known as Intel VT)" and it seemed to repair the sleep issue for now.

I will give an update after 24hrs of sleep mode tests. I will attempt sleep mode at random times and see if my issue is resolved.

Keep an eye out!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.