Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I think we can be sure it is not the drive. There is obviously something wrong with the laptop. 

HP Recommended
Well not for nothing but I knew that from my first post. My question is HOW DO I FIX THIS PILE OF JUNK!
HP Recommended

Back to the beginning:

So I got this laptop from a friend of mine used for a good price because it had some problems. 

I would say put in a new motherboard or try to get your money back from your friend. You took a bit of a flyer on it and it has not paid off. 

HP Recommended

Hey, so I know this topic is over a year old but I wanted to post this for the community.  I recently corrected this issue.  I had another SSD drive to try in this to see if anything had changed and as I suspected it did not.  When I went to put the mechanical drive back in the laptop stopped reading that as well.  I tested the drive in my desktop drive dock and the drive was fine so I went to inspect the hard drive connection cable and found it appeared there were some broken wires by the mainboard connector.  I ordered a new cable from the HP store and just installed it last night and got the laptop working again.  Just for my own curiosity I wanted to try the SSD once again and after installing the new cable it worked!

I am not sure what might have been wrong with the previous cable prior to it failing completely but somehow that was my issue of not recognizing the SSD drive.

HP Recommended

Classic case where remote assistance is useless if you can't see the machine. A lot of time and effort spent running down a blind alley. 

HP Recommended

I found a soluition.

My initial problem was very similar.  I wanted a faster HDD so I bought a WD Blue 3d NAND SSD.  I cloned the drive using the free WD Acronis True Image then replaced my old drive.  I double checked the cable after reading the posts here and it was fine.  When the PC would boot up, I kept getting the blue screen with the message that a crucial component was missing. 

After pressing ESC to bring up the Start Up menu:

20180804_122457.jpg

Select F9 to bring up the Boot Manager. 

20180804_122548-2.jpg

Select the 2nd entry in the list.

Note:  The first time I did this, I had two "OS Boot Manager" entries.  I think it creates a new entry each time you select one.

Agree to any other propts.

Once your computer reboots, it should load right in to windows.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.