Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

my laptop started to freeze for a couple of seconds and making a buzzing noise. This usually happens when I'm watching a video (at least it never happed at any other time yet).  It is pretty much the same as in that Youtube-Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmJFVgOg34E).

It never happed before I updated my BIOS because of wired connection issues, so could it be because of that?

Thanks in advance

Liz

it happen random, mostly when i play a game or watch a youtube video. can anyone help me with this!!!!??
17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

This happens to me too ,but only when I am on battery and almost never happens when plugged in.Have you find any solution yet 

HP Recommended

Hey there! @Liz35, @amnaakhtar, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand when you play games on your laptop the screen freezes and makes a buzzing noise.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Try restoring the BIOS to default on your PC check if it helps.

Turn on your PC keep tapping the F10 key, you will boot into BIOS.

From the main or file menu select restore defaults.

Select F10 to save changes and exit.

If the issue still persists uninstall the graphics driver from device manager and install the latest drivers using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Also, refer this article to further troubleshoot PC freezing issues.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.

I hope you have a great day!

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It occured again today after 2 weeks. This time Windows crashed with a bluescreen DPC Watchdog Violation (Error Code 133).
The dump file told me the video card driver of the Intel Card might be the faulty one. The latest driver of that was already installed, so I switched it back to the older 2015 version.
I also tried step 1, 3 and 4 from this side: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/dpc-watchdog-violation-on-windows-10-fixed/
I hope my laptop will work without this issue now, but I'll leave this post open.

HP Recommended

I've had the same issue with my HP laptop, running Windows 10 (64bit), bought new around 1 1/2 years ago.  Its been happening every 4-5 weeks.  Mostly seems to happen when watching DVD's or maybe long youtube videos.  And my laptop is typically running from the 240v mains.

I've looked at a few websites, trying this and that scan for system errors, found nothing.

The noise captured on the youtube video however is exactly what I get when these crashes happen.

If anyone can help, it certainly would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Gavin

HP Recommended

Oh and one more thing, I have noticed that this sometimes happens during critical Windows 10 updates.  However this doesn't seem to be the cause of the issue.  Most of the websites I've seen seem to imply its an issue with the graphics.

I've just been looking on youtube (no crashes yet) and there's someone who is suggesting that its an issue with the Core Performance Boost on the BIOS.

Now I'm no engineer of any kind; but can anyone comment if this could be the culprit?  Some people are reporting back that following the advice on youtube, they have solved the crashing/buzzing issue by disabling the Core Performance Boost.  Others, however, said it made no difference.  I'm inclined to give it a try AFTER I've backed up all my critical files!

If it crashes again after I've disabled the Core Performance Boost, I'll post on here so at least that can be ruled out as a solution.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

No sign of an Advanced CPU Core Features anywhere in BIOS, not a great start then!  I guess I'll have to try and message the person on youtube and find out if its even available for Windows 10 users?

So unless anyone has any ideas...?

HP Recommended

I actually had the same idea about turning this feature off in BIOS. After some research it turns out, HP UEFI does not allow to change any deeper settings in your BIOS. So unless they open it up, we have to find another solution.

It didn't happened again to me by now, so you might want to try my steps.

HP Recommended

Hi Liz35

Thanks for getting back to me.  

Before heading out for a wander this morning, I did have time to try the first of those 3 sets of instructions.  However I can only get so far because I do not have a SATA ACHI listed under the IDE ATA/ATAPI CONSTROLLERS.  The only options I get are AMD SATA CONTROLLER.

If I go into that, I get the following:

Properties (AMD SATA Controller)

Driver tab

Driver Details

The driver files I get on my screen are:

C:\windows\system32\drivers\amdsata.sys

C:\windows\system32\drivers\amdxata.sys

Unfortauntely neither of those driver files are mentioned on the instructions on that website (shame really, I was starting to have some hope of a fix) and I didn't want to try them incase I messed something up!  I'm not exactly sure why my options are different from those on the website, but they are and that won't help me much.

So at least with instruction set 1, its not looking very promising.

Instruction 3, I managed without any issues so that's sorted.  As as for the checkdisk (instruction 4), I did that last week and although the scan took 4 hours to complete, it didn't find anything.

I do have Windows 10 updates enabled, and the first think I check when I'm having issues playing audio files are drivers/updates etc.

Looks like it could be back to the drawing board again...

Please let me know if you have any more ideas though, I do appreciate all the assistance I can get.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hey -Gavin-,

I guess the downgrade of the Intel graphics driver was the actual thing that solved the issue (at least so far). I don't know if you ever encountered a bluescreen after this problem, but I had a look at the dumpfile after a crash and it seemed that the driver caused it.
If that happened to you recently or in in the future (might even show up after the buzzing noises without crash), I recommend you to have a look at the reliability history and event viewer. Check this page out for further help with that https://www.howtogeek.com/222730/how-to-find-out-why-your-windows-pc-crashed-or-froze/

Hope we will be free of it now 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.