Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, new and first post so I'm not quite sure if this is the appropriate place, hopefully someone will tell me if not.  Have Pavilion G72 laptop 9 months old with OS Win 7.  Just wondering if I can uninstall the HP Support Assistant on it (not au fait with computers really) so that it doesn't keep coming up and wanting to do things - or me to do them, on the computer?  I'm not totally sure it's a necessary piece of software and will be taking up space and not something that's needed.  Would really appreciate it if someone could advise on this please, thanks in advance for your help.

assle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Mumbodog wrote:

There are settings in Support assistant to turn off certain features or reminders, some of the reminders are important, like software and driver updates.

When you have time Open HPSA from the All Programs group and take some time to learn what it does and how to turn off some reminders.

You can uninstall it but is not recommended.

I to thought of this samething.

"BUT" decided since I'm not afraid and love to look at things to see how they work went in and adjusted the settings.

I set for it to scan for updates, "BUT" let me decide wither to install them or not.

This is important to keep an Updater in my opinion so that you can keep your drivers and apps upto date.

The maintenance part of it I simply turned off altogether.

I prefer to use other apps along with Windows default apps to keep my PC running at it's finest.

And I do my maintenance once a week, most times twice if not three times/including manual virus scans.

Support Asst is very useful in many other ways just explore it a bit, Trouble Shooting, Ease of getting to different Support Options, etc.

I as a fellow private user wouldn't advise it either...  

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

There are settings in Support assistant to turn off certain features or remonders, some of the reminders are important, like software and driver updates.

When you have time Open HPSA from the All Programs group and take some time to learn what it does and how to turn off some reminders.

HP Recommended

@Mumbodog wrote:

There are settings in Support assistant to turn off certain features or reminders, some of the reminders are important, like software and driver updates.

I to thought of this samething.

"BUT" decided since I'm not afraid and love to look at things to see how they work went in and adjusted the settings.

I set for it to scan for updates, "BUT" let me decide wither to install them or not.

This is important to keep an Updater in my opinion so that you can keep your drivers and apps upto date.

The maintenance part of it I simply turned off altogether.

I prefer to use other apps along with Windows default apps to keep my PC running at it's finest.

And I do my maintenance once a week, most times twice if not three times/including manual virus scans.

Support Asst is very useful in many other ways just explore it a bit, Trouble Shooting, Ease of getting to different Support Options, etc.

I as a fellow private user wouldn't advise it either...  

HP Recommended

Thank you both for your help, not happy that I really shouldn't uninstall the app as I think it's intrusive but then HP have got like that now.  This is my fourth HP computer so I do like HP don't get me wrong, but firms begin to take over and push too much onto the users which is a shame, I'd prefer the choice.  Ne'er mind, at least I know I can go and change things so thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Not a problem.

Your Welcome.

While I see what your saying about firms adding things that can be can of a pain.

HP's is the least of the Mfg's Applications that I know of.

I've had Vaios that their Apps Popup way to much with no way of shutting things down without uninstalling the app itself.

Toshiba has the same types of apps as well, But instead of them being products of their own making they let Norton do it for them, And then if you have problems Toshiba don't help with speeding up your PC instead you have to pay Norton's to do it for you.

Although I give them credit they at least give you a DIY sheet if your Brave enough to change and delete files and registry entries yourself.  Like i said I'm not afraid to do things like that so I do them myself, But most would shy away from it or pay Norton's to do it for them...

They also have problems with their own apps losing directions to them self from the shortcut links, Causing reinstall of those apps which at times only work  50-50 at best.

Dell has the same problems, and Acer doesn't really help at all.

As for Support Asst being a bit intrusive since I shut all that off I've only had one popup telling me of an updated video driver for my Pavilion which helped to fix a problem I was having with my Vid driver to begin with.

I'm not an HP sales rep or anything as I said before, But this is by far the best Support App I've ever seen on any PC I've owned. Where it's all put in one place.

Thanks HP and again Your Welcome.

HP Recommended

This is something a HP Tech or employee would say but the truth is NO U DO NOT NEED IT SINCE YOU CAN TROUBLESHOOT or UPDATE YOUR COMPUTER YOURSELF, I DISABLED IT & IS SO MUCH BETTER WITHOUT IT.

HP Recommended

Since an HP update of BIOS killed my laptop, I'm not too sure it is even safe to follow HP recommended updates. I did follow the recommended updates, and when they finished, I turned off my BRAND NEW laptop, the BIOS update began to run automatically, with no control prompts, meaning I couldn't have stopped it if I'd tried. My laptop will not come back on. The CAPS LOCK button blinks 2 times, meaning BIOS corruption. This is an ONGOING PROBLEM with BIOS updates, and has been for years. Look it up. They're all titled the same: "HP BIOS update KILLED MY COMPUTER!" My new laptop will probably have to go back for repairs, and I've also been reading HORROR stories about HP support, extended repair times, etc. I'm a little mad at HP right now, and would not recommend buying or having anything to do with HP computers.

HP Recommended

Well this Support assistance is the reason ur laptop got killed , i never had any problems flasing bios manually.

HP Recommended

Microsoft kept badgering me to upgrade my system from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. My HP Assistant Software warned me not to because it was not yet completely compatible with my configuration. Worth more than I can say. Microsoft has already killed my machine twice with software upgrades (most recent last Thursday night).  It has taken 3 days to sort it out again. Other software "advisors" (which want me to buy them) have encouraged me to update up to 120 unnecessary drivers and other software. My HP software just gives me the ones which are apporopriate and necessary, If only I could check the automatic Microsoft upgrades with it before my operating system and personal data are annihilated once again.

HP Recommended

I have big support assistant message to verify my warranty IN SPANISH.  Cannot delete it, or copy it.  Is this malware?  I have deleted HP support assistant from my pc but this thing still comes up and takes up a good portion of my screen.

Help

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.