Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17t - Y7C72AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have several users that are experiencing audio issues when trying to use Skype for Business 2016.   The issue is that when they Skype call out to a contact their mic and speakers or just microphone will not work.   The microphone not working is the most common issue.   However, they can have a contact call them and their microphone and speakers will function normally. 

Here are the steps that I've tried to correct the issue:

1. Quick Repair of Office 2016.
  2. Full Repair of Office 2016.
  3. Full removal of all Office products and reinstall of Office 2016.
  4. Update to latest sound drivers Conexant ISST Audio 9.0.100.99 -- this causes both microphone and speakers to not function at all.
  5. Revert sound drivers for Conexant ISST Audio to 9.0.100.63 -- this allows for the user to be able to recieve Skype calls but not be able to make Skype calls.
  6. Full removal of all sound drivers - restart - allow Microsoft to reinstall drivers.

None of the items above have fully corrected the issue and it appears to be a specific issue with the Conexant ISST Audio drivers used by HP.

Any ideas on how to correct this issue?

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @jhopkinspt, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you have audio issues using skype on your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

Kudos to you for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Open Skype.
Go to Tools > Options.
Navigate to the Audio settings tab.
Be sure that Microphone and Speakers are properly set. If you want, you can test both microphone and speakers from Skype. If your speakers and microphone passed the test, it means that they are properly configured and working in Skype.
Click Save to save changes.

Restart Windows Audio service

Press Windows Key + R and enter services.msc. Press Enter or click OK.
When Services window opens, locate Windows Audio service, right click it and choose Restart from the menu. If the Restart option isn’t available, just try stopping and starting the service manually.

Turn off sound effects for the Conexant ISST Audio microphone.  This is done by the Control Panel command ‘sound’-> ‘recording’ tab -> select 'Conexant ISST Audio microphone' and click on ‘properties’ ->on the ‘microphone’ pane select the ‘enhancements’ tab -> click the check box ‘disable all sound effects’ then click ‘OK’ on all of the panels back up to the sound panel.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response!

I just walked through all of these steps and unfortunately they did not correct the issue.   I even went through and disabled all audio effects through the Bang and Olufsen control panel.

HP Recommended

@jhopkinspt, Thanks for your response and time.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps. Please try the steps recommended below.

Start your Skype for the Business client if necessary. 
Select the “down arrow” to the right of the configuration /setup wheel.
Select “Tools” and then “Audio Device Settings”.
Ensure your Skype for the Business device is selected as the device to use for audio calls.
Check your Skype for Business device volume:

Check and test the volume settings for your Skype for the Business device (speaker, microphone, and ringer) by adjusting the appropriate slider buttons and pressing the green arrow to test your settings.
Select the “Check Call Quality” button and follow the directions to see how you sound to others.
Other things to check:

Ensure the “mute” button on the Skype for Business device is not depressed.
Ensure the volume control buttons on the Skype for the Business device are adjusted correctly.
Note: your Skype for the Business device may not contain these controls.
If you still have problems with your Skype for Business audio, follow the steps below to check your Windows settings.

Open the Control Panel, then open the Device Manager applet.
Expand the “Sound, video and game controllers” node.
Select your Skype for Business device; a yellow caution sign or a red exclamation point indicate that your device is not working properly.  If neither caution exists, then proceed to step 2.
Unplug the Skype for Business device from your computer.
Remove the Skype for Business device from Device Manager (right-click and select “Uninstall”).
Reinstall the Skype for the Business device and allow Windows Update to locate and install the drivers.
Check your Windows sounds settings:

Select the sound icon on the taskbar in the System tray area and ensure the volume slider is set to an adequate level.
Ensure that that speaker icon under the slider does not have a red icon indicating it is muted.
Ensure your Skype for the Business device is selected as your default Windows sound device:

Open the Control Panel, then open the Sound applet.
Select the “Playback” tab, and then select your Skype for Business device, select the “Set Default” button and then “Apply”.  Select the “Properties” button, then the “Levels” tab, then adjust the output (volume) slider as necessary.  Select “Apply” then “OK”.
Select the “Communications” tab, then select “Mute all other sounds” or “Reduce the volume of the other sounds by 80%”.  Then select “OK” to close the Sound applet.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps and If the internal microphone is working on your PC, It is an issue with the skype application.

Please contact Skype support for more assistance.

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is actually a big  problem with the Probook 430 G4 model - so much of a problem that my client is about to stop purchasing HP equipment. This post was made over six months ago. Anyone got an update? 

HP Recommended

Just to add some more information to this, when my client has a new starter, they ship the laptop to me for configuration. This is pretty basic stuff - adding to Azure AD, installing Office 2016 from Office 365, installing a couple of other 3rd party utilities and ensuring all drivers are up to date using the HP support tool plus Microsoft updates. 

So a pretty clean set-up... it must therefore occur on every HP ProBook where Skype for Business is used.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.