Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am using a HP Pavillion laptop and pay for a 10 mbps donlad speed - running Ookla speed tests on my laptop gives me a download speed typically in the range 3 - 6 mpbs. I have downladed Ookla onto an iPad and this consistently gives a 10 mbps download speed!!

Any ideas why this is happening?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The advantage with Windows 8/8.1 is it will guide you through this with on screen instructions. Everything that you need to do to setup the notebook again to fuctional conditions is covered.

You will however need to install applications that didnt' come with the notebook.

I worked on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello, @Roddydog 

Welcome to the HP Forums.

It seems that you have a slow internet connection. I will try to assist you with this.

To start could you provide the following:

Model and product numbers for the notebook.
Currently installed operating system.

The first thing you'll want to do is make sure everything's up to date. Complete any Windows updates, then update the drivers. Drivers can be done from here: Drivers & Downloads.

Typically when your with a provider and they say you'll get 10mbs, this won't actually happen when your downloading. This is just the max output that could happen in the perfect conditions. Seeing speeds of 3mbs - 6mbs would be adequate from a 10mbs connection.

Speed testing isn't an accurate depiction of what you're actual download speeds will be. I've also notice rates change based on application use for the testing. These test try to use the most direct ways to achieve optimal speed.

Something worth reading that may provide insight is this eHow.com article: What Factors Affect the Speed of the Internet?

I hope this helps.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestions I will try those that I haven't previously tried.

One thing that you haven't mentioned is why does an iPad give a 10mbps d/looad whereas my HP notepad only gives approx 3mbps on the same internet connection and server?

Info as requested is;

HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC

5CD41523QG

F9E43EA#ABU

Windows 8.1 64-bit

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your comparing apples to oranges when you look at an iPad vs Notebook.

The hardware and software are different, this alone is a major factor to why you wouldn't compare the two. There is also a chance depending on the iPad and network setup it's also on a 5ghz band, this would again make a difference.

If you were comparing two notebooks or more specifically the identical notebook, it would be a more accurate comparison.

HP Recommended

Ok, have now carried out the advised actions, downloaded upto date drivers, run a virus, malware scan - cleared all temp files and run disc clean up and defraggged the drive.

Still not getting the download speed I pay for.

Plugged a friends HP laptop into our ethernet and low and behold he got 10 mbps d/load!!!!

Just to summmarise the problem.

I am runninng windows 8. and typical download speeds are between 3 annd 5 mbps, I get this problem both when connnectd by WiFi and ethernnet - if I conneect a friends HP laptop (ethernt or WiFi) or an iPad I get 10 mbps download!!

Also, if I start up my HP Pavilion in safe mode I also get 10 mbps download, both ethernet and WiFi.

Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hey,

Overview of Recovering the OS or Reinstalling the Operating System

Follow that document.

HP Recommended

Just having a look at the instructions and I see the following;

Completing a system recovery

After performing a system recovery, you must reinstall and update all of your software and drivers, and reestablish the Internet connection. Use the original manufacturer's disc to install your software programs, and then go to the manufacturer's web sites to download and install all updates. For more detailed information, see Setting up Your PC After a Recovery (Windows 7) , Setting up Your PC After a Recovery (Windows Vista) , or Things To Do After Performing a System Recovery in Windows XP .

How do I set up after system recovery with Windows 8.1? Doesn't seem to be covered!

HP Recommended

Hi,

The advantage with Windows 8/8.1 is it will guide you through this with on screen instructions. Everything that you need to do to setup the notebook again to fuctional conditions is covered.

You will however need to install applications that didnt' come with the notebook.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks, I have ordered a suitable device for backing up my data and when I have this I will give it a go.

Just one question - I don't have instalation discs for the HP system or Windows, from you mail can I safely ssume that these will self install if I follow the directions you have given?

Txs

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you follow the documentation, then yes it should safely install. The documentation should cover doing the recovery without disks.

If you'd prefer to have the disks, this can help you with obtaining them: Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.