Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello marklester,

What product do you have?

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say “thanks” for helping!
Please mark a reply “Accept as Solution” if it solved your issue so others can find it.
I work on behalf of HP.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

what is error 301?

HP Recommended

Hello imanebrahimi

I am sorry to say that the Error 301 is an indication that your Hard Drive has either failed or is about to. I would suggest you follow the instructions on this document here and run the hardware tests to verify a Hard Drive failure.

Good luck. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

what error 301 hard disk?

HP Recommended
yes
HP Recommended

HP 2000 Notebook PC Revived ,stopping at Windows logo then Bluescreen

Diagnostic tools pointed to the HD being bricked

If you are like me and just wanted a running pc again... it is possible without buying new HD.

This how I did it. (Hopefully you can make it out as I am not very good at explaining stuff..)

(YOU WILL LOSE ALL SAVED DATA) I made a bootable flash drive and used copied 'boot' and 'source' files from Win7sp1 .iso (takes 2.8Gb on a 4Gb Flash Drive, 3 files in total) to boot and access CMD. - I repaired BDC and ran CHKDSK. Once I was able to access the recovery partition things worked thierselves out .The error 301 still appears on boot (still working on that... thinkin it has to do with corrupt registry.. ) but the machine starts, runs smooth , and I'm using it right now 🙂 Working on finding a program to repair the registry cause I believe thats where the real issue will be found I've tried suggestions like updating BIOS and running scripts off the HP site and still nada... For now I'm happy its running!

Hopefully theres some MVP here that can decipher all this better for yall

Proof that the HD is ok!

HP Recommended

Your happiness is going to end rapidily REPLACE the HD ,there is not corrupt registry. Did you read every post from the HP people , Change it , if not you are going to cry.

Peace out

HP Recommended

Hi Urnenfelder,

Have you managed to resolve this error?

I can assist contact me :[Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

hp pavllion dm4

HP Recommended

I have done a test on my computer and everything failed except the memory.  I have a HP DV7 17.3" Notebook that I purchased 12/12/10 with an extended extra 3 year warranty, and of couse that warranty expired this past December so I have no warranty.  I am assuming I will need to put in a new Hard Drive.  This computer has a 640 GB Hard Drive.  Where would be the best place to get a replacement and can I install it myself?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.