Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP SpectreXT PRO
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a SpectreXT PRO and get the message "Battery Plugged in but not charging".

First thing is that I did search the forum and found other posts on this. In the post Battery Charging, I followed the instructions to delete and re-install the ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery , with no success.

Then I tested the battery using the HP Support Assistant (couldn't use the on board diagnostics because i couldn't start the system because the battery was dead) the support assistant indicated the battery was weak and couldn't hold a charge and that it should be replaced.

Great, so I ordered a "new" battery on-line, installed it and received the same results.

So if the battery test indicates its a weak battery, could it be something else? Or did I receive a bad battery?

Yea I know this is an old laptop, but it is great for travelong because of its size.

Anny suggestions would be appreciated.

Charlie

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The DC power jack that the power adapter connects to may have failed. 

Connect the power adapter to the Spectre and try wiggling it gently to se if the power led lights up?

A DC power jack is an inexpensive part. Se the following search I did for the part.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%3A+HP+SpectreXT+PRO+dc+power+connector&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=f...

Another possibility is that the ac power adapter has failed. Unfortunately that cannot be tested with a multimeter as an adapter can produce voltage but fail under a load like charging the main battery.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Erico, thanks for the reply,

When I plug in the power adapter, the charging light comes on in orange (meaning charging) then in 3/4 seconds it turns to white, meaning full charge. I wiggled the plug in the jack and the light stays white.

The system will only power on with the power adapter plugged in and works without issue. I have 2 power adapters and both of them give the same results.

So I don't think its the power adapter and since wiggling the plug didn't make a change in the charging light I'm not convinced the plug is the issue. I had 2 other laptops (different brands) with faulty power sockets and know the symptoms you mentioned.

So my thinking is either its a failure in the charging circuit on the motherboard or the battery itself. Since I tried another battery with the same results ity may be the board. However the battery I tried came from a wholesaler so not sure if it was good.

Still Investigating.

Charlie

HP Recommended

"When I plug in the power adapter, the charging light comes on in orange (meaning charging) then in 3/4 seconds it turns to white, meaning full charge. I wiggled the plug in the jack and the light stays white."

That  would mean that the charging system is working but the battery itself is probably faulty, but since you tried another battery and had the same result with no useable charge in the battery  that points to  the systemboard.

The problem is that the cost of replacing the systemboard is probably above half of the current value of the Spectre XT. That is normally where I draw the line and use a notebook only for parts unless I can source the parts on the cheap. I do my own parts replacement where I do not know if you do that also. Outsourcing parts replacement adds quite a bit to the cost of a repair. You would also need a new OS as the current one is tied to the systemboard the Spectre was delivered with. The OS is not transferable.

What is the specific product number of your Spectre XT?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

When I purchased the replacement battery, I cheaped out and went with the lowest cost one I could find on ebay (you get what you pay for right). It was sent in a soft package and the fram and mounting tabs were bent. I semi installed it just to test.  So that is one reason I'm still suspecting the battery itself. Just not sure where to go to purchase one that would be known good.ause it was damaged and failed the battery test, I returned it.

Another reason I suspect the battery (besides being optomistic that its not the MB) is that I use this laptop for traveling, so its been sitting for about 4 -6 months, and never charged up. It was working fine the last time I used it so to me it would seem the battery would fail under that situation rather than the MB. But then again my thought process has been known to be faulty.

If it is the MB, I would replace it myself. The OS is not an issue, have my own copy and can just re-load it.

The model is 13b000

Charlie

HP Recommended

The best way to purchase a battery is to only buy one from a vendor who guarantees it for a full year.

I have purchased after market batteries from Chinese manufacturers that have lasted for years.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.