Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

In my Spectre X360 I am also getting 6 to 7 hr battery life. I disabled bluetooth. Display 70%, battery HP recomended settings.

Battery.JPG

My laptop specification is:-

Bios:- latest update was pushed from HP - F.2FAp1

OS:- Windows 10 64bit home version 1511 (preinstalled win 10)

CPU:- intel core i7 6500

ram - 8gb

display card:- Intel HD 520

Display type:- QHD

diplay driver:- 20.19.15.4360 

HP Recommended
I'm onboard completely if a class action suit gets rolling. This is blatant false advertising and I'm really not liking the fact that they can just lie about their product's battery life and then not respond to users when they have complaints about it. You won't be seeing any more hp employees on this thread, they're not going to get in touch with us, they're gonna hide because they know they look bad for exaggerating their product's capabilities. I've contacted support and after explaining the situation more thoroughly than should be necessary the rep told me that the 12.5 hours is the best of the best of the best case of scenarios and that hp uses special software and little tricks to completely limit the PC's performance and background activities, making it effectively a brick, to squeeze the most battery life out of it. My spectre is not going to be getting 12.5 hours, it's never even gonna get close no matter how much I try.
HP Recommended

My battery life has gone terrible again. Seemed to happen after BIOS update, which I know makes absolutely no sense. I'm starting to wonder if it will be better to go back to Windows 8.1 (the version it shipped with).

Don't think I will buy another laptop from HP. Their battery tests are probably based on the laptop being in standby with screen brghtness at 0%.

HP Recommended

Their tech support rep actually told me (and HP is telling others, according to online threads) that the 12 hours battery life refers to STANDBY mode.  My response was that in standby mode I would expect days or weeks of battery life (which is what I get from my other laptops) and that the published battery life should be for USING the computer--not having it sit in a bag on standby.

He eventually agreed how ludicrous it was to assert the 12 hours refers to standby, but that does strongly suggest that a) HP calculated battery life with completely unachievable parameters, an b) HP knows they did this and are looking for any way possible to spin this so they avoid a lawsuit. 

I purchased the laptop at Best Buy which gives me another week to decide if I want to keep it or not. I'll continue to tweak the settings to see if there's any way to get more life out of it, but I suspect it's going back to BB next weekend.

HP Recommended

Have you looked in the Task Manager to see what is taking so much?  Are you putting it in Battery Saver?

The test I did (which I posted earlier) was to download an HD movie and played it in a loop at 80% screen brightness and I got more than 8hrs (which I thought was good given the screen never went dark).  I didn't power the speakers, but I plugged in a pair of ear-buds.

BTW .. Firefox can really kill your battery depending on which site you are on.  For instance, if you are on Yahoo Finance, it's a CPU and recourse hog.  Facebook will KILL your battery.  You should go through task manager and see what's running.  Just sitting there on wifi, I have 1% of CPU usually.  If you have something running taking anything more than that while you are just "sitting there", that's where I would put your attention.

So, this is what I did.  I took the Power Saver profile and copied it as "Power Saver - Never Sleep".  I then went through the advanced settings and made it so that the screen and computer never sleeps but I also put all the settings to max-power-savings when available.  I didn't do anything to the CPU settings.

Also, be sure to move the "Battery Saver" slider to 100%, so that Battery Saver is always on when not plugged-in.  By default it's at 20%, so even though you click the batter saver option, it won't actually 'engage' until you are down to 20% battery.

Good luck .. I'm just a user (not HP), but I really like the laptop so far.

Ang

HP Recommended

I just checked the battery usage of apps in last 5 days for my QHD Spectre i7

System:- 22.7%

Display:- 74.8%

wi-fi - 2.5%

Out of all the apps:-

Edge (I have been using last 5 days) - 44.9%

Firefox (i have used 1 day) - 6%

HP Recommended

I see lot of people bought into the beauty of HP Spectre x360 just like me. I even went ahead and bought the QHD which I thought a terrible mistake after checking my battery hours.

Terribly its just 6 hours and came to this forum to see that some people have 4 hours. But I did lot of tweakings to bring the battery to 9 hours, checked the whole week and its still wavering around 9 hours. I am happy with it !

Though I switched from Macbook Air to HP Spectre X360, the battery hours at initial was just not acceptable. Advertising at 13 hours and getting half of it is not what HP wants in their confidence book. However, I realized that comparing Macbook Air 2013 model to powerful HP Spectre X360 QHD, 6th Gen intel processor and 8 GB ram is absolutely not meaningful. But still I expect around 8-9 hours and this how I got it.

1. Changed to battery saver mode
  2. Display setting changed to 100% battery saver
  3. Turned off "Cortana", "Bluetooth" and "Location service"
  4. Turned off "How updates are delivered" under windows update
  5. Turned on "metered connection"
  6. Turned to Microsoft Edge
  7. Removed McaFee live and kept "windows defender"
  8. Turned on "Hibernate" in sleep mode to 30 minutes
  9. Turned off "unnecessary start up" via "clean my PC"
  10. Updated "Bios" to recent version
  11. Turned on "Maximum processor state" to 75% under power option
  12. Display all time in battery state to 70% under power option
  13. Turned off "touch mode"
  14. Kept "Microsoft Edge" open page as simple such as "google"
  15. 15 March 2016 battery report: 8 hours 41 minutes (84% consumed) - still 16% left which it will easily cross 9+ hours.

Capture.PNG

IMPORTANT:

I reduced the processor speed to 70% under the power saving mode, which turns the HP Spectre X360 into a pin drop silence mode. I mean, for past 1 week, the processor fan in the HP Spectre X360 is crisp silent just because the temperature was all time low below 30 degrees. So no more HOT burn on my lap.

Overall, the 9 hours battery + silent fan + not overheating on lap makes it worthy. I just love the beauty, style, configuration, the beautiful QHD and vey competitive price. Just the battery makes me sad that I took the bad decision by not buying the Macbook Pro but now I am totally happy and Windows 10 gives much better control over OSX.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.