Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I think I'm being stupid but  maybe not.

I plug an hdmi cable into the port of the x360 and windows does not see the dell monitor that is plugged in and working with another computer.

I tried rebooting and clicked 'detect' in the display properties but it doesn't see it.

What am I doing wrong?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @eclas ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Spectre X360 Notebook and issues with a HDMI cable connection. Here is a general document on troubleshooting issues with the HDMI connection.

With the HDMI cable connected have you restarted the Notebook?

Have you tried a different cable?

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have the same issue. I tried with different HDMI cables. The laptop doesnt recognize the external monitor. Do you have a solution for this? I have tried with multiple monitors (Samsung and Dell) with same results.

HP Recommended

Hey @MTR77,

Have you tried going to the troubleshooting in my post above?

I would be happy to assist if needed as there are many models of HP Notebooks, I would need the model number.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Please respond with which Operating System you are running:
Which Windows Operating System am I running?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi, I am having the same problem.  I m using a Dell monitor and a HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13 with an HDMI to VGA but the laptop will not detect the other monitor.  The cable works fine and the monitor with a different laptop.

I have used the HP support assistant and all is up to date.

I have also removed McAfee.

Still no joy.

Any help much appreciated.

HP Recommended

@JHMBA

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 laptop and when you connect an external monitor using an HDMI to VGA converter there is no display on the external monitor. You have checked that the cable works fine and the monitor with a different laptop. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

• I suggest you to check if there are any drivers that need to be installed for the HDMI to VGA converter. Sometimes, there are drivers that need to be installed from the manufacturer to make the converters work. 
  • I would need the exact model no. of your HP Spectre x360 laptop. This link will help you to locate the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l.
  • I suggest you to go through the steps from this link and check if it helps to get a display on the external monitor: http://hp.care/2eJKuqt

I'm always here to assist. Let me know. Thanks again! 🙂

HP Recommended

Product number:L0B62EA#ABU
Serial number:5CD5258KR9

I have tried following the link but it has unfortunately not made any difference.

Can you help me with regard to what drivers I might need, please?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@JHMBA

Thanks for the information. 🙂

Your laptop should already have the drivers preinstalled for the hardware that came with it. But for the HDMI to VGA converter you need to check with its manufacturer if there is any driver available for it. If you could let me know the make and model of the HDMI to VGA converter then I could try searching it for you. 

Let me know. Thanks again! 🙂

HP Recommended
Hi,
The cable is
MMOBIEL®
HDMI to VGA Cable, (3ft 1meter) HDMI Male to VGA Male D-SUB 15 Pin M/M Gold Plated Connector Adapter Cable Cord Transmitter Black by MMOBIEL

Hope you can help
HP Recommended

@JHMBA

Thanks for the information. 🙂

I did some research and could not locate any drivers for this HDMI to VGA cable. 

However, what I found was that the HDMI to VGA cable is designed to connect and transfer (NOT CONVERT) signals from HDMI port to VGA port. This cable functions as a signal transmitter, but not a signal converter. As HDMI carries digital signals while VGA carries analog signals. In order for these two formats of signal to communicate with each other, both input and output devices need to support the signal conversion function (code and decode). 

If you could check with the manufacturer is there is any other way to make this cable work or any drivers if they could provide than that might help. Let me know what happens. Thanks again! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.