Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 CTO. Today I decided to upgrade to windows 8.

I downloaded HP's touch pad Firmware update and after running it, it says there's a problem while reflashing the firmware. And now, as you can guess, my touchpad is no longer working. I have the Synaptics device driver 16.2.15.0 installed. When I try to run the Firmware update again I get the Synaptics Reflash Error:

"A Synaptics Pointing device driver is required for reflashing. Please install a Synaptics driver version v15.1.6.0 or newer"

The touchpad doesn't show up in Device Manager, however, there's a Unknown Device and a PCI device listed in the Other devices section.

I've tried to reinstall the driver and all but nothing worked thus far.

Help anyone? Thanks in advance! Any suggestion appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I actually solved this problem just several minuntes after this post. All I did was go to windows' mouse pointer settings and a pop up box appear offering me to uninstall the Synaptics driver. I have no idea how this differ from manually uninstalling the driver but click yes at this check box actually solved the problem while the manual methods didn't.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The same problem, but with hp dv7-7171er. How do I fix it?

HP Recommended

The same thing with me!

My DV6 7078ca's touch pad is not working anymore now!

HP Recommended

I actually solved this problem just several minuntes after this post. All I did was go to windows' mouse pointer settings and a pop up box appear offering me to uninstall the Synaptics driver. I have no idea how this differ from manually uninstalling the driver but click yes at this check box actually solved the problem while the manual methods didn't.

HP Recommended

The solutions proposed by Delusionist worked.

I just entered the mouse configuration through Control Panel and when it was initializing, it prompted that the driver was point to nowere and as if I wanted to desintall.

Desinstalled, rebooted = touchpad working again (but slow)

Intalled the drivers again = touchpad running fast and precise.

Thank you,

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, this solution didn't work out. Any other ideas?

Can I have it repaired under warranty?

HP Recommended

If the notebook is still in warranty, you should be able to get the touchpad repaired under warranty. If you are inside the United States, you can contact HP Support at 1-800-474-6836.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

same problem with me HP Pavillion DV6 7170er. 

HP Recommended
1- uninstall synaptics driver from control panel
2-restart
3-open registry and serach for any value related to "synaptics" and delete them.you may find around 20 to 30 values.
4-restart
5-touchpad should now work again but with microsoft default driver.
6 install synaptics driver from hp site.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.