Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Initially my HP Envy 17 would not communicate with my Envy 110 series printer wirelessly. Having gone through the troubleshooting process I found that there was a yellow exclamation mark next to the USB-IF xHCI Host Controller.

I tried to update the driver as per previous threads but this was not successful in that the updated drivers could not be installed. The messages after the install sheild wizard aborts were "This platform is not compatable with Intel WiDi or the application is in use"

I uninstalled the device as per previous advice on the threads but the new drivers would not install.

I assumed the printer issue was related to the yellow exclamation mark issue but I may well be incorrect.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information.  The UB-IF xHCI USB Host Controller isn't realted to the printing issue.

What exactly happens when you try to print?

Do you know what the IP address of the printer is?  If so, go to a web browser and enter the printer's IP address by itself.  Does a printer configuration page load?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

haloo

HP Recommended

Thank you so much!  I updated the driver and now no more USB error! 

HP Recommended

It worked for me, thanks very much :generic:

HP Recommended

hi. 

i have the same problem with the" USB-IF xHCI USB Host Controller" !!!

my lap top is hp m6-1178sa

run windows 8.1

model no. is C2C18EA#ABU

(the problem is can`t go to go into the advanced properties of the offending device and give you the hardware id string so we can see what type of USB 3.0 controller because i all ready uninstall the driver for USB-IF xHCI USB Host Controller)

can you help somehow?

thanks

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for the information that you have posted. At this point because you have uninstalled the drivers already. You will need to try and reinstall them from the Device Manager. I have included the steps below for you to follow.
* From the start screen type Device Manage
* Open up the Device Manager file
* Click on View
* Click on Show hidden devices
* Click on Action
* Click on Scan for hardware changes

This process should reinstall the 3.0 USB drivers into the Device Manager. Please let me know if this works, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

@CoasterJim wrote:

I want you to know I resolved this problem on my DV7T 7200. I downloaded the latest WiDi drivers from Intel:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22016&ProdId=3227&lang=eng

These seem to be newer than the ones HP provides. I installed ALL other drivers first (display, chipset, etc) and then I installed the WiDi software (link above). The USB-IF xHCI USB Host Controller was recognized just fine. No more unkown devices.

Hope this helps.

Jim

CoasterJim, your solution worked perfect for my HP Envy Dv6 🙂 Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

When you have Windows 8.1 and the USB Driver Problem use this Update Tool for WIDI

http://supportkb.intel.com/wireless/wireless-display/templates/selfservice/intelwidi/#portal/1035/ar...

HP Recommended
So glad to find out that I am not the only person who has had problems with this!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.