Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So recently I've been receiving driver issues with my PC. I'd be working in FL Studio 12 while in a Skype call with my friends, then all of the sudden the whole entire PC freezes. So, to get a better idea on what's going on I went to the Device Manager, since I figured it might be a driver malfunction. I spot under "Other Devices" some suspicious looking drivers that I do not recognize. I think it might be an ASIO Audio driver that was installed with FL Studio 12, but I am not sure. Here is some more details: 

This is details and value of the drivers.Snapshot 1.png

Snapshot 2.png--This is general information about the drivers. 

In addition, these drivers aren't digitally signed. There's no dates on when it was signed, and the signer is unknown. 

~Techy
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

So, I was working in a digital audio workstation while in a Skype call with my friend, and all of the sudden the PC just freezes. I tried to speak, but he couldn't hear me. So, I figured that an audio driver installed with the DAW might've contributed to the problem. I went to the Device Manager and saw two unknown devices in the "Other" category. Yet, I don't know what they are. There's really not so many details or information about the two drivers. There's no manufacturer names, descriptions on what they do, and even more suspiciously, they aren't digitally signed. However, there is interesting values they're set as.  One is ROOT\MEDIA\0001, and the other one is ROOT\MEDIA\0002.  In addition, they don't have the necessary drivers, as I googled "Error 28". In addition, I think these drivers are the culprit of my OS malfunctioning.

~Techy
HP Recommended

Thanks for posting on the HP Support Forums with your issue @TechyBee!

I will do my absolute best to help you come to a resolution with the Unknown drivers displaying on your HP 15 Notebook PC. When we have come to a resolution, please share what worked for you with others by marking this post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show your appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below.

Have you tried to uninstall those unknown devices and restarting your Notebook twice to see if they reappear?

Have you tried to start in Safe Mode to see if it still freezes on you?

Do you hear any excessive fan noises when the Notebook freezes?

Have  you done all of your Windows Updates? 

Have you tried in the Device Manager to update the drivers?

Have you tried using the HP Support Assistant to bring in any drivers that need updating?

Sometimes devices can show up that way in the Device Manager due to updates needing to be done. In which case, you may need to use Window Updates and/or this link to the HP Support Assistant. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating.

Please re-post and let me know the detailed results of all the troubleshooting steps and your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?).

Look forward to hearing from you!

Have a great day! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi, so I tried uninstalling the drivers like you asked, and the drivers are gone. I haven't went in Safe Mode though because I scanned my computer for viruses, and found nothing. When you asked if I hear excessive fan noises, I didn't know what it would sound like. However from the air vent in my laptop, I feel a little warm air but the surface on my PC isn't hot or warm.  I've tried updating the drivers, but they were non-updatable.  It would keep on saying it needed to be updated in a nonstop loop every time I reboot and check on the drivers. However, HP Support Assistant didn't detect the drivers, the device manager did. Of course, I even did Windows Updates. In adition, my model number is J9K48UA. Thanks!

~Techy
HP Recommended

Hey!

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! 

Now that the drivers are not visible, do you still have the issue with Skype?

The reason that I asked about Safe Mode was not necessarily for virus purposes but more for driver purposes. In Safe Mode your Notebook does not use unnecessary basic function drivers; I thought that if you were able to go into Safe Mode and did not have an issue, that maybe we could narrow down where the issue may be stemming from (driver wise). 

Using Windows Task Manager will help you to identify corrupt processes: Services that you do not use (other than Microsoft services) can be shut down to minimize CPU usage. This is a great way to see if something in the background is causing your Notebook to be overloaded and freeze up much like Safe Mode would do. 

The surface not being hot or warm is a good sign that it is not overheating. To be safe, I would suggest cleaning out all of the vents in your Notebook with a can of air. This is just to ensure that nothing is clogging the internal components and causing your freezing. It is always better to be safe than sorry. 

I have seen in the past programs be the reason that updates can not be done. Have you tried to temporarily disable the security software and firewalls before trying to do any updates? Please try this and see if they come in for you.

Have you tried to use the Windows Update Troubleshooter? If not, please follow these steps:

1. Exit Windows Update

2. Wait 10  minutes

3. Restart Windows Update.

4. Press Check for Updates.

5. Turn on Windows Automatic Update

6. Download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Please let me know the detailed results of the troubleshooting steps above and answers to any questions. 

Have a great evening! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Hi! 

I am not sure if I am still having issues with Skype. But, I did go in to safe mode, and I was able to go into Safe  Mode just fine. I also went back to Normal Mode and I disabled firewalls and antivirus so I could run the Windows Update Troubleshooter, but the troubleshooter was unable to find any issues. However, FL Studio and Skype both use 11.6 CPU, and they also use 200 MB of Memory Usage. I currently have 6 GB of RAM stored on my PC. 

~Techy
HP Recommended

Using Windows Task Manager will help you to identify corrupt processes: Services that you do not use (other than Microsoft services) can be shut down to minimize CPU usage.

What do you keep running in the background?

Can you please take a screenshot for me of the task manager?

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall both programs?

Have you tried to do a clean boot?

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
I use different types of programs frequently. I recently used Skype, FL Studio, ROBLOX Studio(game builder with lua scripting, graphics rendering in games, and more things you never heard of.) , and google chrome for the past 3 days. However I use other programs as well. I have done a clean boot, however I do not think it benefited my PC in anyway. I even tried to clean dust out of my PC by myself, but I couldn't find much except in the battery bar.
~Techy
HP Recommended

Ok I was haviing these running in these in the background, and apparently the PC froze. So, i turned it off, and I heard a tiny beep sounsScreenshot_7.png

~Techy
HP Recommended

Hey, 

I do not see anything that is running exceptionally high CPU wise other than your antivirus programming. Did you try to use the programs in Safe Mode for a few hours and see if the PC freezes while doing so? 

While you are in Safe Mode, please also try to do all of your updates and see if anymore come in.  

Let me know how that goes. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.