Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion
When shutting down my laptop it asks if I want to update. I always say yes. It takes days before I can get back on my laptop once I've done that. Is there a way for it to update without taking days? I've tried turning it off for a few seconds to leaving it off an entire day, and nothing works. All I see is a black screen with it spinning for at least two days....very frustrating! Thanks for any suggestions.
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello, @Stacit – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for engaging in the HP Forums! I see by your post that you are experiencing issues while updating Windows. I will certainly do my best to help you!

Going through your post, I understand that facing issues while doing a Windows update. To assist you with this issue, I need the following details:

1) What is the product number or model number of your HP product? If unsure, please check: http://hp.care/2oPCMBG

2) What is the operating system on your PC?

Alternatively, please check for these and then try updating again:

1. Do you have any Anti-Virus installed? Disable the Anti-Virus for a while and try again.
  2. Is there any malware which prevents the upgrade?
  3. Delete the cache memory, temp files, and other unwanted cache files to free up the RAM and disk space. Use a 3rd part program like CCleaner or any other cleaning program if necessary.
  4. Run all other Windows update and restart the PC.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply! I would try but I can't even get to a normal screen, all I see is a black screen with a ball spinning.
HP Recommended

@Stacit

Hi,

as @Dvortex is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. I have read your post comprehensively.

If the laptop is on a black screen with a spinning ball then I suggest you to perform a Windows refresh (repair). This will not delete your personal data. This is what it does:

The following list shows what happens when you refresh your computer:

• Your files and personalization settings such as libraries, user accounts, and desktop themes are saved.

• The computer settings are returned to the defaults.

• Apps from the Windows store are reinstalled, and the settings are reset to their defaults. Internet connectivity is not required to reinstall these apps.

• Desktop apps are removed unless they were installed by the computer manufacturer. At the end of the refresh process, an HTML file called Removed Apps.html is placed on the desktop with a list of the desktop apps that were removed.

Also, if possible please let me know the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Hope this helps. Cheers! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.