Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elite 8100/8300

Over the last few weeks we have had serious issues with SATA connectors spontaneously shorting and catching fire.

The first was several weeks back and I thought it was an isolated incident.

I have had two further cases within two weeks.

The part is marked:

P/N 577799-001

Rev A

Century-Asia 1032

Fortunately all incidents happened during the day.

This is a clear hazard and presumably a manufacturing defect that could have serious ramifications.

Could someone from HP please contact me urgently to discuss this please.

B. Rgds

John

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

A couple of photos from last weeks incident.

Note the two computers are in different countries (though they are all UK sourced models)

HP Recommended

Hi, John:

This is a peer to peer forum.

I have asked a forum moderator to escalate your post.

Hopefully someone from HP will contact you in the near future via the private message system.

My friend had the same thing happen on his 8000 Elite CMT.

The same part number burned up -- P/N 577799-001  Rev A

I checked the part number on my 8200 Elite CMT and it was a different P/N, so I ordered one for his PC, and one for my 8000 Elite CMT.

I removed the same P/N 577799-001 Rev A cable from my 8000 Elite CMT.

The P/N I ordered from the 8200 CMT is:  625262-001

I have had my 8200 Elite CMT brand new since 2011.  No issues with the P/N in that PC thus far.

I ordered the replacement cables on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-5-HP-HDD-Optical-Drive-Sata-Power-Cable-625262-001-PC/152616699568?e...

One other forum member reported the same issue a couple of years ago.

HP Recommended

@reetp

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out.

Two of these could have been at night, in a home with people sleeping.....

No apparent cause.

I cannot say for sure that all 3 leads were identical as the first was disposed of - certainly the last two were.

I cannot remember if the first was connected (I have a feeling not), but the second two were both conected to HP DVD drives.

Not good.

HP Recommended

The part that burned on my friend's 8000 Elite was the part that went to the DVD drive, but it was the end not connected to the DVD itself that burned.

It was the one that would have plugged into a secondary DVD drive.

Who would have thought an end not connected to anything would spontaneously combust?

His really smoked.  It left a bunch of soot on the top inside of the case.

Fortunately, they were at home when they smelled smoke and saw it coming out of the PC.

HP Recommended
Yup. One of my three was the same. Centre plug and unconnected.

It is a very serious issue
HP Recommended
Note also I got a question via a PM, replied with the data I had to hand and have heard nothing since. Disgraceful.

I hope for HPs sake they get their fingers out. If someone dies they are going to get sued to hell and back.
HP Recommended

I have now been awarded a 'responsive' badge. More than can be said for HP.....

HP Recommended

I don't know how many folks have been affected by this and since the PC's were well out of warranty, I wasn't going to wait for my house to burn down, so for a few bucks, I fixed the issue on the two 8000 Elites.

As for badges...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.