Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanx for your response.

I note that I have 4.5.307.0 installed.

I have not been able to find the 315 or 317 driver for Win 10 Pro 32 bit

Can you provide a link please?

Thanx,

CB

HP Recommended

thank you.

worked like a charm on HP Probook 650 G1 win10 64bit

I can enroll more than one finger, and they all work.

HP Recommended

Thanks xbalanke.

Your outline pointed me in the right direction. 

I have a HP Probook 4540s which, like your computer, has a VFS491 fingerprint scanner. 

For me installing the Lenovo and Dell drivers that are mentioned didn't work.  They wouldn't appear in the drivers list, even when I unticked "show compatible hardware". 

What worked for me in the end was:

1. Followed xbalanke's steps through to untick "show compatitible hardware".  
  2. I then selected the driver called "Validity Sensor (VFS495)".  This is still the standard Microsoft driver, but for the VFS495 scanner.
  3. I then had to install HP ProtectTools Security Manager  (for Windows 8.1).
  4. Then rebooted. 
  5. And it worked.  I now have fingerprint scanning to sign on.  What is weird is that "Windows Hello" still does NOT show in the settings sign on options.   So I use HP Client Security app (part of HP ProtectTools Security Manager) to load and manage fingerprints. 

I totally agree - it's very annoying that HP hasn't yet released updated drivers for the fingerprint scanner (VFS291) that are compatible with Windows Hello. 

HP Recommended

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I tried everything that was suggested to no avail. Finally, our of desperation I saved everything I've created on my HP laptop to a backup file and re-imaged my hard drive back to the original software it came with back in November 2010. The fingerprint scanner works! However, I have a new problem. I've misplaced the original MS Office 2010 CD and need the key to re-install Office 2010. Will submit another question to the HP Forum to address this issue.

HP Recommended

Pls advice, How to turn off "compatible drivers" when updating drivers in Windows 10, 64bit

HP Recommended

To All that are having issues.

NOTE: You must DELETE the HP Driver 100%, Reboot, then Install the

1. You must DELETE the HP Driver 100%. (NOTE: Others say NOT to delete the driver, but this causes windows to automatically install the newest or prefered driver, which is not the Lenevo driver. Your choice to delete or not.)

2. Reboot., then Install the Lenevo driver,

3. Install the Lenevo driver.,

4. Goto device manager, locate the "Unknown Device", Choose "Update Driver Software", Select "Browse my Computer for Driver software", THEN select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". 

a) Locate the "Unknown Device",

b) Choose "Update Driver Software", Select "Browse my Computer for Driver software", THEN select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". 

c) Select "Browse my Computer for Driver software", THEN select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". 

d) Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". 

e) Select "Biometric Device" (NOTE: There may be 2, find the one that has "Synaptics FP Sensors" in the Model listing.

f) Select "Synaptics FP Sensors (WBF) (PID=00xx)"  (The "XX" represents which ever driver you found, i used 0017)

g) Next to install.

h) IMPORTANT: Scan for hardware changes

i) REBOOT!  (even if it found the hardware and installed it.

5) Login and launch HP SimplePass, it should have 3 options to use when you click past the first 

This may not work for everyone. It did work for my HP DV6, HP DV7, and HP EliteBook 8460p.  Good luck either way! Hope it helps someone:)

Common Lenevo Drivers

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds103635

HP SimplePass Software

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_126956_1

HP Recommended

I got this driver to work on an Elitebook 8460p with a Validity Fingerprint Sensor model VFS471. Thought it may be worth clarifying a couple of things from the OP and others – and thanks to all who have contributed here to solve the issue. HP driver updates really do suck and it is sad that I have trawled the internet only to find a Lenovo issued driver update solves the issue HP owners have.

The Lenovo executable from the link Lucadebe provides does not update the driver but extracts the files to the location C;\Program Files\Synaptics\SynFP\Shared\Drivers\WBF_CMN_DRV\, thus when you carry out the manual driver update (as suggested by Xbalanke) you must select the ‘Have Disk’ option and drill down into this sub-directory to pick up the correct .inf file. Perhaps it was me being thick, but it took me an age to work this out 🙂 as it wasn't entirely clear from the exisiting posts and I kept being directed to the existing driver that didn't work - and that is in a different location.

Once this common Synaptics FP Sensors driver was installed, Windows10 recognises the Validity Finger Print sensor and it becomes an option in ‘Hello’.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. Really helpful. but one thing though, after I install the driver, when I bring up the properties for the fingerprint scanner, it says "No drivers are installed for this device." It says that no matter which version of the drivers I install (0011, 0015, and 0017)

no drivers.png

Can anyone help me with this?

HP Recommended

I have found the solution with this:

update drivers found at :this http://drivers.drp.su/

forcing using this driver and windows hello works with hp 8770w

HP Recommended

I have the EliteBook 8530p with AuthenTec AES 2810 fingerprint sensor. New HDD instead of broken original one, clean Win 7 Pro install and upgrade to Win 10.

My fingerprint reader became available in Win 10 Windows Hello due to AuthenTec AES2810 Windows Biometric Framework Driver (AES2810_WBF_Setup_A01_64bit_ZPE.exe from http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=DFDJ9

Thanks to overlind at forums.lenovo.com - https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Fingerprint-support-on-Windows-10-ThinkP...

No Lenovo drivers, no any hoodoo, no (God forbid!) any HP tools.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.