Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ac048ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am looking to upgrade the wifi card in my HP Notebook 15-ac048ca to a dual band card.  Can someone please advise on a compatible make/model of dualband b/g/n wifi card i can install? I can't seem to locate information on if this model has a whitelist.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@whatever5

This series of laptops shares same hardware with HP 250 G4 Notebook PC & HP 256 G4 Notebook PC and they support the following wirless cards

Compatible with Miracast-certified devices
Support for the following WLAN formats:
● Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
● Realtek RT8723BE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter
● Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 HMC Combo Adapter
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

thanks for your reply, however these all seem like single band cards. i need something that will work on both a 2.4 and a 5g network. 

HP Recommended

Hi, @whatever5 :

Your notebook does not have a whitelist but almost as bad, if you have a single band card in there now, most likely there is only one antenna present.

You can't upgrade to any dual band wlan card with only one antenna.

You would have to completely disassemble the entire notebook including the display panel area in order to properly run a second antenna.

Do not rely on the illustration in the service manual to determine if your notebook has two antennas.

If your notebook has two antennas or you are willing and able to run a second antenna if it doesn't, then you can install the Intel 7265 dual band N or AC adapter.

Make sure you get the same form factor card that is in there now.  Some notebooks have the M.2 form factor cards, and some have the Half Mini Card (HMC) form factor.

I believe that the Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi adapter your notebook currently has, is the older HMC form factor.

HP Recommended

@whatever5 wrote:

thanks for your reply, however these all seem like single band cards. ..

Hi,

The red one is a DUAL band card and it DOES support 2.4GHz and 5GHz but as @Paul_Tikkanen mentioned above it only has 1 antenna and may be your machine only has one antenna around its screen.

At least 3 of my laptops use  Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11 ac.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.