Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x2 Detachable PC 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am trying to disable "fn" key required to press before f1 to f12 otherwise its performs increase brightness etc.

Read the manual it says you can diable the function through BIOS setup however I am unable to find "Action Keys" disable option under system configuration.

I have already updated the BIOS Configuration) to this :F.0F-05/30/2016 ( ) but nothing changed. 

Anyone please help as pressing Fn before f1 to f12 keys is so irrating being accountant I have to use MS Excel so frequently therefore this is causing realy trouble for me.

PS: I have already tried FN+ESC keys but it only shows system information.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Which HP ENVY x2 Detachable PC 15 do you have?

Use the FN+Esc key to find the product number. Post it here in your thread.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

After posting my query here I went on searching google and updating my drivers through HP support assistant, on receipt of your reply here I pressed FN+ ESC it is showing nothing but was displaying system infromation at the time I posted here.

I dont know what caused this to stop, is there anyother way to find product number ?

HP Recommended

The product number is also at the bottom of every window in the HP Suport Assistant .

It is also in the system information tab in the BIOS.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick guidance. Product number is J9J40UAR#ABA

HP Recommended

Your ultrabook is an Envy x2 15-c011dx.

I took a look at the BIOS simulator and did not see disable\enable actionkeys  in it as an available option.

Have you considered rolling back to the previous BIOS by use of the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI?

Firmware management should offer the option to rollback at the bottom of the window.

HP Recommended

can you help sort out this problem.  I use Dell wireless keyboard most of the times, it doesnt have this issue may be due to non-availability of fn key there,

By the way can you help to do that ? I mean rolling back to previous BIOS 

HP Recommended

Connect the expernal power unit to the notebook.

Press the power button and immediately begin tapping the F2 key.

That will invoke the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI utility.

UEFI Diagnostic selections.jpg

Click on firmware management.

At the next window on the botton you should see a rollback BIOS option. 

Click on it to rollback the BIOS.

Do not disturb the notebook until you see an onscreen message that says it was successful.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.