Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavillon notebook
Hi,

Hoping someone can help. Suddenly my wireless networks won't connect to my 6 month old laptop. All other devices connect to wireless networks fine but not my laptop. Connected fine two days ago, stopped connecting yesterday. Product number is g8d81pa#abg. Airplane mode is off but orange light stays on on f12 button. Have no idea where to go from here but need lappy working as have recently started a business!
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi there @Chloe3 

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel.

I understand that you are having trouble with your notebook computer connecting to wireless. I am happy to help you with this, but I do need some more information to find the correct support information. Please verify the operating system in use on your notebook. See the following, if you need help with that information.
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Was there any recent changes made to your notebook such as software, drivers, system updates or new hardware?

Have you tried connecting to a different wireless network?

Assuming that it is a software change that may have caused the problem, you can try a System Restore to a point before the problem began, and let me know if that fixes thing.

Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 7)
Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Morning,

Thanks for your response. I'll have to check when I get home what operating system. It's a HP pavillion 15-n218ax.

I'm not sure whether there were any recent changes, I never update the notebook myself it automatically updates. I'm assuming there was an update on the as it was working fine on 4/04/15.

I have tried connecting to two wireless networks which my phone and other phones and devices have no problems connecting to. The notebook simply says there are no connections available at all and won't even show me any options to connect even though both wireless networks were functioning well.

Last night I trouble shooted the issue via the instructions for my product on the hp website and absolutely nothing worked whatsoever.

Here's a list of all that I have tried:

Connecting to wireless manually
Reinstalling the wireless network adapter driver
Updating the wireless LAN using device manager because I cannot connect to the internet
Check and reset wireless hardware
Hard reset the notebook
Microsoft system restore

Still the notebook displays an orange light on the f12 button (which is unusual) and will not show any available network connections.

Hope this helps.

Chloe

HP Recommended

@Chloe3 

You mentioned installing the network adapter; were there any errors when you did that? Does it show up properly in Device manager?

Try working through this page, and let me know if afterwards, wireless networks are visible again or not.

HP Desktop and Notebook PCs - Resolving Universal WLAN, Wireless, and Wi-Fi Errors

As part of that process it may recommend contacting HP, if the problem is not resolved. In that case, please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

However if you are now able to see the networks, but still unable to connect, try out these: (I left in steps for both Windows 7 and 8.x, use whichever applies to your system)

Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet Connection (Windows 7)
Troubleshooting wireless network and Internet (Windows 😎

Also, you can look at the power management for your wireless adapter:
Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:
1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Forget the network: (Windows 7)
1. Press Start.
2. Type Manage wireless networks and click the application at the top of the start menu.
3. Right click on the network and click Remove network.
4. Confirm the warning by click OK.

Forget the network: (Windows 😎
1. Press Windows Key + C
2. Click Settings.
3. Click Change PC settings.
4. Click Network on the left.
5. Click Manage known networks.
6. Click the network name.
7. Click Forget.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.