Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 8740w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and there are 3 devices that do not have drivers.  HP's site only shows up to Windows 7 drivers.  The devices that need drivers are called Base System Device (two of them) and an unknown device.

Does anyone know what these devices may be? 

Thx!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The "Base System Device" x2 is the Ricoh Media Card Reader. The unknown device could be anything. HP support page for your computer has drivers for XP, Vista, and Windows 7. Please use Windows Update in Windows 10 to get the missing drivers. See Microsoft Answers for assistance in doing so.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Is the Ricoh Media Card Reader the same as the Ricoh SmartCard Reader?  W10 installed a driver for one.

Edit: Acually thanks!  The Media card reader fixed it.  Yes, I also noticed HP doesnt have W10 drivers which is why I figured Id ask.  I also already have W10 up to date.  So I guess I will keep digging around to see what that unknown is.  Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hi

Perhaps it has some of the below items, and if so tick them off and the remainder is probably it.

1 Express Card 54mm,

3 USB 2.0,

2 USB 3.0 / 3.1 Gen1,

1 Firewire,

1 VGA, 1 DisplayPort,

1 Modem,

1 eSata,

1 Docking Station Port,

Audio Connections: headphones, microphone, Card Reader: Smartcard Reader,

1 SmartCard,

1 Fingerprint Reader

HP Recommended

Hi, @Flybye :

The unknown device probably needs the 3D driveguard driver...

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144.exe

HP Recommended

VGA or any video ports attached to the video card will not have individual drivers for them.  That's all taken care of by the video card manufacturer's drivers which in my case I have already upgraded them from Nvidia.

But I DID find the solution here!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Driver-for-ACPI-HPQ0004-3-amp-3...

So thank you for the suggestions everyone!

In summary:  Anyone that has an 8740w and upgraded to W10 will need to install:

Ricoh Media Card Reader Driver

ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Flybye,

Paul_Tikkanen's reference to "The unknown device probably needs the 3D driveguard driver... ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144​.exe" is not a video driver. It is a link to the HP 3D Driveguard driver aka ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection driver. sp64144.exe is a much newer version then the one listed in http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and​-Upgrade-Questions/Driver-for-ACPI-HPQ0004-3-amp-....

You may also try sp71811.exe HP 3D DriveGuard Software (HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection), which is even newer and designed for Windows 10.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Hi, All:

sp71811 is for the 3D driveguard hardware version with an ID of HPQ6007.

The one I posted is the final revision for the hardware version the 8740w notebook has of HPQ0004.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Provost.  I installed the newer driver, and all continues to be well.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.