Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 470 G2 ProBook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello HP Support Comunity,

Recently I bought a used (out of waranty) 470 G2 ProBook Notebook.

The notebook is running perfectly, but I want to do an upgrade.

I want to swap the default HDD it came with (HGST 1Tb 5400 rpm) to an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD.

The notebook bios recognizez and also diagnoses the SSD perfectly. The problem is in the windows 10 setup, where the setup shortly sees the SSD as a drive (sees all the Gigs correctly), but it returns an error message when I try to select it as a boot device saying "Windows cannot instal to this drive, check if the bios settings are correct". After I get this message, if I refresh the drive list, the SSD completely dissapears.

I have been struggling to come up with some kind of workaround to this issue for the past 2 days. This is what I have done so far (without possitive results):

- tried the whole disk part -> clean -> format procedure (from a working laptop, as I cant do it from windows setup because it is not detected)

- tried playing around with boot sector type (MBR and GPT)

- explored the option that windows setup does not have the ATA/SATA drivers, so I downloaded the official drivers from HP. For some reason, windows setup does not recognize the files so I can't install the driver.

- tried switching from AHCI to another mode but this notebook's bios doesn't have other options

obs. Windows 10 setup was created with the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and the version is x64.

After lurking millions of different forums, I thought the best idea is to try to get an answer from you.

Any help and/or hint on how to try to solve this would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if enabling legacy mode and disabling secure boot allows you to install W10.

Using the above BIOS settings you would have to format the SSD in MBR-NTFS

To install the sata achi drivers, you need to do the following...

I have zipped up and attached the W10 x 64 SATA drivers you need below.

Extract (copy) the files onto a usb flash drive without any folders.

With the flash drive and W10 installation media in the PC, boot from the W10 installation media.

After you select the install now option, select the Drive Options - Advanced menu, then select the Load Driver option.

You should now see the storage driver files listed.

If you check the box, it will only include the compatible driver.

Follow the prompts and hopefully, W10 will install.

HP Recommended

Hello and thank you for the quick answer, here are the results:

The  legacy mode did not help, I got the same result.

Secure boot option is present in bios but it's not active (neither checked or unchecked and I cant modify it).

The driver files you zipped and the same files I used. In my trials I put the files in a folder on the USB stick with the Windows setup on it. This time I took your files and put them directly (no folder) on a second USB stick. Windows setup couldn't see the drivers again.  The  "Load Driver" option returns the message "No device drivers were found. Make sure the instalation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK", like there would be no files on the USB stick.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that none of those suggestions worked either.

I can't imagine what the issue could be then.

I have only used Intel 535 SSD's in my HP business notebooks, and never had any issues with installing Windows.

My latest was with a HP 350 G1.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.