Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I own a Pavilion dv9076eu laptop, which came with XP preinstalled. I've worked with XP (Pro x86) for a while, but then HP stopped updating it's driver, so I moved to Vista (Ultimate x86).

I now want to move on to Windows 7 (x86, Pro or Ultimate).

Is there any chance that Windows 7 drivers will be released for my machine anytime in the future?

If not, can other O/S drivers be used with 7?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The notebook may be compatible with Windows 7 but still not supported by HP.  HP won't recommend it but if you decide to upgrade there may be ways to find the drivers you need.  For one, Microsoft has included many more drivers in Windows 7 than previous OS releases. Windows Update may be able to provide what you are looking for.   If it's possible to 'upgrade' and not do a custom or clean installation then you'll find that a lot of the Vista drivers will work in Windows 7.  And if all else fails, this forum is available.  Make recovery discs if you haven't already.

Wes

I am an HP employee.

View solution in original post

88 REPLIES 88
HP Recommended
I wonder the same thing too i own a hp pavilion dv9620us and i can't find any drivers for it.. eg. my nvidia graphics driver, i try to install vista one but the setup is terminated as the OS is not supported... is there gonna be windows 7 drivers for dv9000 series? thanks
HP Recommended

HP does not plan to support the dv9000 series notebooks with Windows 7 drivers or software.  See the statement here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01892673

Wes

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended
So what are we supposed to do then? just stay on crappy vista? i think it is very discriminative as its not our fault you guys chose top models and decide to make drivers for them ONLY... i think it is well unfair..
HP Recommended

The notebook may be compatible with Windows 7 but still not supported by HP.  HP won't recommend it but if you decide to upgrade there may be ways to find the drivers you need.  For one, Microsoft has included many more drivers in Windows 7 than previous OS releases. Windows Update may be able to provide what you are looking for.   If it's possible to 'upgrade' and not do a custom or clean installation then you'll find that a lot of the Vista drivers will work in Windows 7.  And if all else fails, this forum is available.  Make recovery discs if you haven't already.

Wes

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hello Wes, and thanks for your replies.

I will try to install Win7 and hope for the best.

I checked laptopvideo2go and they still haven't released Win7 drivers for my 7600go. I hope they will, soon.

I also read that 7 can take some Vista drivers, but I'll have to try to find out which ones.

I'm no driver expert, but I can't think of reason for a machine to not be compatible with an OS, apart of the need to write new drivers, compatible to that particular OS. Although almost 3 years old, my machine is well above the minimum required specs for 7 (upgraded to 2GB RAM and a 320gb 7200 HDD), and I wish that HP would internalize the fact that I'm (and a lot others are) still their customer, and that their lack of action towards making OS upgrade options will reduce the chance that I'll purchase their wares in the future. I can relate to HP's reluctance to support Ubuntu, as Microsoft has it's long arm around many corporation's neck, but this has nothing (as I see it) to do with Microsoft. This is pure greediness, that could make the opposite impact in the future.

Again, thanks for your replies. I'll post later to tell everyone how the migration process went.

HP Recommended

Hey Guys,

I actually have a dv9000 laptop myself so I was floored when I found out that HP would only support a few of the top laptop models for Windows 7 drivers. After doing alot of research and countless tinkering, I found the way to counteract at least one of the many woes many of you are feeling, updating NVIDIA GPU Drivers. 

What I did was I went to HP's support site and downloaded their softpaq solution including the NVIDIA drivers for Vista (in my case, the 64-bit version). When it tries to install, it will fail saying that the version of Windows you're using is not Vista. By all means let it fail but don't exit unless you do so by the installer. This is where the next part comes in.

Go to the Screen Resolution Settings under Display and click on Advanced Settings. At this point, it should show you the properties of your card starting on the Adapter tab. Click on Properties and then the Driver tab. At this point, click on the Update Driver button and then click on the "Browse my computer for driver software." For my software, I found it under "C:/swsetup/sp42365/WinVista64." If you remember which softpaq file you downloaded, finding your path should be a piece of cake. After all of that, it should finally recognize your video card and ask you to reboot. If you're successful, you should be back at that 1400x900 resolution we all love.

I'll keep researching to see if the other softpad drivers react the same. I wish that HP at least tells people about this option since it's fairly easy to follow. 

HP Recommended

Not Sure why the video card drivers are an issue with Windows 7 - My DV9260 found the nVida driver through windows update and is fine.

The only issue I am having with Windows 7 64-Bit is that it will only allow 3GB available - supposedly reserving the other 1gb for Video RAM - but I can't see how to change it.

As my primary purpose for the RAM is to run VMWare virtual machines - my RAM is very important.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I installed Windows 7 final on my DV9000 too and faced the problem of NVidia driver. One simple solution is to right click on the setup exe file and enter the properties screen. There go to compatibility mode and select any Windows Vista version. Now run the setup and the driver will be installed correctly.

One problem reamin is that the quick play buttons are not working correctly I don't know if this is a driver problem because I installed the driver for Quick play and the software which works correctly. Finally, the finger print sensor is not working at all and I have one unknown hardware in the device manager (the finger print driver is installed so the unknown component is not for the reader).

Thanks,

HP Recommended

I too am upset that HP won't make Win7 drivers.  Why do I have to stick with Vista?!  I've been so eager to move on!  I'm just hesitant to bite the bullet and upgrade however.  It seems like everything major will work but there are some smaller issues.  I've heard of issues with quicktouch buttons and the remote control.  I like and use these features.  I know it's really early in the game and I'm sure people will find work arounds but for HP to say they won't support a new OS is stupid, especially after a failure like Vista.  I've imaged my drive so I can go back but I'd like to avoid that. Other problems?

Come on Hp, really...

^^ike

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.