Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have a COMPAQ CQ60-104TU with windows vista ultimate 32 bit with service pack 2 running in it.everything was fine till yesterday but when i restarted my notebook. Windows failed to load it says file:\windows\system32\drivers\msahci.sys status: 0xc000000f INFO: windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, You have 3 options... See below...

Option 1: Repair

- Run a command prompt from the Vista Installation DVD Recovery Console.

- Type chkdsk c:/f to try and fix the errors.

---> Answer Y when chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Vista boots

After "check disk" then run scf /scannow to check system file corruptions.

If this dont work try option 2

Option 2: Copy files from the vista DVD

- Boot from your Vista Recover or Install DVD

- There are options to Install Now or Repair your computer. Click on Repair your computer.

- Choose the Windows installation that having problem. Usually there is only one instance of Windows Vista which is automatically highlighted. If so, simply click Next button.

- If you are offered any automatic repair options, cancel all of them until coming to System Recovery Options screen that offers several choices beginning with “Startup Repair” and ending with “Command Prompt”.

- Click on Command Prompt to open a command prompt window. The command prompt shell should show folder location as X:\Source, where X drive is the source installation files on Windows Vista DVD.

- Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ folder (use cd C:\Windows\System32\drivers\), and backup the following driver files:

acpi.sys

atapi.sys

ataport.sys

battc.sys

compbatt.sys

intelide.sys

msahci.sys

pciidex.sys

wmiacpi.sys

crcdisk.sys

The command to backup can be of rename or copy. 

ie:..

copy msahci.sys msahci.sys.backup      or      ren msahci.sys msahci.sys.backup

Or create a backup folder with mkdir backup command in “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\”, and then copy all files to the backup folder with copy *.* backup\ command, assuming C is Vista installation drive.

Then copy the original files from similar path in X drive (where the source files from DVD is mapped) to replace and overwrite the files in Windows Vista installed system drive. The commands are:

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\acpi.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\acpi.sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\atapi..sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\atapi..sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\ataport.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\ataport.sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\battc.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\battc.sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\compbatt.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\compbatt.sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\intelide.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\intelide.sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\msahci.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\msahci.sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\pciidex.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\pciidex.sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\wmiacpi.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\wmiacpi.sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\crcdisk.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\crcdisk.sys

If prompt for overwriting destination file, answer Yes.

- Type Exit to close the command window.

- Restart..

Option 3

Reformat and reinstall Vista.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello, You have 3 options... See below...

Option 1: Repair

- Run a command prompt from the Vista Installation DVD Recovery Console.

- Type chkdsk c:/f to try and fix the errors.

---> Answer Y when chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Vista boots

After "check disk" then run scf /scannow to check system file corruptions.

If this dont work try option 2

Option 2: Copy files from the vista DVD

- Boot from your Vista Recover or Install DVD

- There are options to Install Now or Repair your computer. Click on Repair your computer.

- Choose the Windows installation that having problem. Usually there is only one instance of Windows Vista which is automatically highlighted. If so, simply click Next button.

- If you are offered any automatic repair options, cancel all of them until coming to System Recovery Options screen that offers several choices beginning with “Startup Repair” and ending with “Command Prompt”.

- Click on Command Prompt to open a command prompt window. The command prompt shell should show folder location as X:\Source, where X drive is the source installation files on Windows Vista DVD.

- Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ folder (use cd C:\Windows\System32\drivers\), and backup the following driver files:

acpi.sys

atapi.sys

ataport.sys

battc.sys

compbatt.sys

intelide.sys

msahci.sys

pciidex.sys

wmiacpi.sys

crcdisk.sys

The command to backup can be of rename or copy. 

ie:..

copy msahci.sys msahci.sys.backup      or      ren msahci.sys msahci.sys.backup

Or create a backup folder with mkdir backup command in “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\”, and then copy all files to the backup folder with copy *.* backup\ command, assuming C is Vista installation drive.

Then copy the original files from similar path in X drive (where the source files from DVD is mapped) to replace and overwrite the files in Windows Vista installed system drive. The commands are:

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\acpi.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\acpi.sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\atapi..sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\atapi..sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\ataport.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\ataport.sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\battc.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\battc.sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\compbatt.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\compbatt.sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\intelide.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\intelide.sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\msahci.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\msahci.sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\pciidex.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\pciidex.sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\wmiacpi.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\wmiacpi.sys

copy x:\Windows\System32\drivers\crcdisk.sys c:\Windows\System32\drivers\crcdisk.sys

If prompt for overwriting destination file, answer Yes.

- Type Exit to close the command window.

- Restart..

Option 3

Reformat and reinstall Vista.

HP Recommended
Hi. Thanks for your suggestion but i dont have a installation disc. Can i use the recovery disc provided by neosmarttechnologies for windows vista.
HP Recommended
I have installed comodo internet security on my system and after the installation restarted my pc and it failed to load. There the problem started. Is that causing any problem?
HP Recommended

Hello I cant comment about products that are "suspended pending copyright clarification"

I have not seen any info to back up that comodo internet security could have caused the problem. You can try to boot into safemode by tapping F8 at post and doing a system restore or disabling comodo.

Alternatively you can Order Recovery Discs for Windows 7, Vista, or XP. and perform the steps above.

HP Recommended
I cant boot into safe mode. Please provide detailed instruction about the first two steps so that i can print it and perform those steps. I dont want to perform the third step. Thanks in advance.
HP Recommended
I heard Vista recovery disc will not work for windows vista service pack 2 It shows OS mismatch i heard. Please clarify. Your above steps are in detail only sorry for asking.
HP Recommended

If you can get into safe mode.

Try this:

Click Start ->  type "system restore" in the search box -> restore to an earlier time.

HP Recommended
When i inserted the windows disc it is saying your operating system was shipped with a restore plus kit. Please insert the restore plus cd/dvd for validation purpose. What is this? And where can i get it?
HP Recommended
I just copied the corrupt system file from the recovery disc and overwrite the corrupted file. Them i ran startup repair it restored my computer to an earlier date. Now everything is fine again . Thanks cisco
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.