Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
G7000
Microsoft Windows Vista
Hi
For some reason my laptop has stopped allowing me to connect to the wifi. I have never had any problems before and have not changed my wifi. Please help
Thank you 🙂
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Burnni1,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

Thank you for joining the HP Forum community.  It is a great resource for information, tips, and solutions that have helped others. Here is a link  as a guide should you have any concerns or questions about the process.;

First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

What is your specific model of HP G7000 notebook do you have? 

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

I understand that until recently you had no issues with your wireless, but now you cannot connect  to the Wi-Fi.  

First, I would run a hardware test on the wireless to rule a failure out:

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista)

Once that possibility has been ruled out here are two more links that may help:

HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshoot a Lost Internet Connection on a Wireless Network with Vista

HP PCs - Troubleshooting wireless network and Internet (Windows Vista)

Please let me know the outcome.

When you have resolved your difficulty, would you choose "Accepted Solution" on that post to alert other members and visitors to your success and perhaps help them. To show appreciation for my help. please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi,

You can try  running a hardware test on the wireless to rule a HW failure out:

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista)

Once that possibility has been ruled out Below  are two more links that may help:

HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshoot a Lost Internet Connection on a Wireless Network with Vista

HP PCs - Troubleshooting wireless network and Internet (Windows Vista).

if the solution works , please give a kudos 🙂

HP Recommended
Hi
Thanks for getting back to me. I have tried the above solutions but I'm afraid it has not worked. The computer seems to find the wifi and has a signal strength of excellent but says access local only. We have a other laptop and 2 iPhones which all connect to the wifi with no trouble at all. I have wiped the whole laptop as if it was new and still it will not connect. I'm really at a loss as to what the problem is I'm afraid. Do you happen to have any other suggestions?
Thank you so much for your help 😊
HP Recommended

Hi  @Burnni1,

Thank you for the update. 

After doing some further research, I noticed that some users who have Norton's installed also have this issue and once they removed it, the issue was resolved. 

Here is a YouTube link that may also help:

How to fix Local Access Only on Windows Vista and Windows 7 by @NickPookie93

The  audio seems to be low, so you may need to adjust yours to hear the dialog.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
Hi
Thank you again for your reply. I have uninstalled Norton as suggested and also followed the step by step from the YouTube video but have still not had any joy. From what I have found it seems to be a problem with the IPv4 connection not allowing me to connect. Do you know anything else I could try at all?
Thank you again 😊
HP Recommended

Hi  @Burnni1,

Thank you for the update.

You stated you recently wiped the notebook, have you checked for any Windows updates?  Have you run the HP Support Assistant ? Have you run the Windows troubleshooter?  Can you connect to a different network, perhaps a friend's, neighbor's or a hotspot?   You can also try resetting the TCP/IP.

• Open the Start menu
  • Click on All Programs
  • Choose Accessories
  • Right- click on the command prompt and choose run as administrator
  • Type netsh int reset all and press enter
  • Once that completes type netsh int ip reset and press enter
  • When that completes type netsh winsock reset and press enter
  • Reboot your notebook  

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
Hi
Thank you for getting back to me. I have tried all the suggestions you have mentioned above and still no joy I'm afraid 😕
HP Recommended
I have ran a diagnostic and it says cannot communicate with primary DNS server I'm not sure if that may help
HP Recommended

Hi @Burnni1,

Thank you for your reply.

Please try this:

• power cycle your router.  ( Disconnect the power to in and wait 30 seconds and reconnect the power and wait for it to come back online) 
  • restart your notebook
  • at the command prompt ( run as administrator) type ipconfig /release
  • Once that completes type ipconfig / renew
  • Restart your notebook again

If the issue remains and you have a firewall, try turning it off  and retrying your internet connection. 

If none of this has helped, please contact your network provider for assistance.

Please let me know how it turns out.

To show appreciation for my assistance, please click  the "Thumbs Up Icon" below.  If this resolved the issue, please choose "Accepted Solution" to help others locate this information, should they have the same issue. 

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.