Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV6-6153
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Videos no are no longer displaying on my laptop. This problem started a few months ago. Sometimes, the ads will display but the actual video content is completely black - so it can't be a problem with the video hardware. I can hear the audio but there is no picture. 

When I first had this problem I came across some solutions about turning off ad blockers. I'm not sure, but I think ad blockers were already turned off and I tried both with it on and off, with no difference.

What else should I try?

HP Pavilion laptop

Windows 7

Chrome Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there,

have you tried different browsers,or their may be the driver problem, so better i suggest you to download Driver Booster and update all the drivers.

Driver Booster 5 download

If helps click on kuddos.

Thanks,

SGPrashant

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey there,

have you tried different browsers,or their may be the driver problem, so better i suggest you to download Driver Booster and update all the drivers.

Driver Booster 5 download

If helps click on kuddos.

Thanks,

SGPrashant

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. I downloaded Driver Booster and updated all the drivers. Now I can see the videos but there is no audio!

There's no audio at all in an Internet browser (I've tried both Chrome and IE) or in Windows. I went to the control panel and tested system sound files and they don't play. When I tried to play an MP3 file, I got the following error: Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.

HP Recommended

@ros2004 wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. I downloaded Driver Booster and updated all the drivers. Now I can see the videos but there is no audio!

There's no audio at all in an Internet browser (I've tried both Chrome and IE) or in Windows. I went to the control panel and tested system sound files and they don't play. When I tried to play an MP3 file, I got the following error: Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.

Update: I now have both the audio and video working. I had to first uninstall the IDT High Definition Audio Codec. Then when I restarted the computer, it automatically reinstalled the driver.

HP Recommended

This is weird. After getting both the video and audio to work for a few days, the audio suddenly decided to mute itself by itself (even the mute button on my PC was turned on and wouldn't turn off) and I couldn't get sound. Then the video disappeared. It didn't fix itself after I shut down and restarted.

I again uninstalled all the drivers, rebooted, and updated the drivers. It seems to be working for now.

HP Recommended

This is an ongoing issue. Videos and audio work for a while, then suddenly stop working. Today, I can see video but there is no audio. After I unstalled the audio driver and rebooted, I could hear the audio but the video was again black!

I have to keep uninstalling the device drivers and rebooting to get things working again. 

HP Recommended

try to refresh your Windows.

HP Recommended

Once this happens, refreshing or rebooting doesn't fix the problem. The only thing that  seems to fix it is to uninstall the drivers and then restart. It seems totally random.

Today the videos are black and mute when on Facebook. I tried to view a video outside of Facebook, in the Chrome browser. The picture came up but it was just an ad, and there was no sound. As soon as I skipped the ad, the video also went black.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.