Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

so.... I can't get into my laptop. The registry is corrupt. I have tried both system recover and Win7 Startup disc. Neither gets me past the startup screen. I can't even start in safe mode. I was thinking of dragging all my pics and music etc. off and then reinstalling Windows. Unfortunately, as is common these days, my laptop did not ship with the OS discs. Frist of all, can I take the HD out and connect it to a desktop so I can get the files I want? And secondly, how can I get a copy of the Win7 discs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello merlynbc. I understand your computer contains registry issues. I will answer both of your questions, before anything else.

The first question: "can I take the HD out and connect it to a desktop so I can get the files I want?" - Technically, you can try this. Please ensure the hard drive is compatible with the computer. I can't guarantee this will work.

The second question: "how can I get a copy of the Win7 discs" - This document explains how to obtain these discs, better than I could: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

Now, I will review the latest issue: "after attempting to backup my files with HP Recovery Manager I get a fail code FFFFFF14" - This appears to indicate that the registry is corrupt. However, I can't help but wonder whether or not hardware issues exist. I would like you to test the hardware on the computer. Please perform all of the diagnostics, by following this HP document: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443317

Please respond at your earliest convenience. Provide the results of the troubleshooting and any additional information or thoughts. I'm only here to help!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Update: after attempting to backup my files with HP Recovery Manager I get a fail code FFFFFF14

HP Recommended

Hello merlynbc. I understand your computer contains registry issues. I will answer both of your questions, before anything else.

The first question: "can I take the HD out and connect it to a desktop so I can get the files I want?" - Technically, you can try this. Please ensure the hard drive is compatible with the computer. I can't guarantee this will work.

The second question: "how can I get a copy of the Win7 discs" - This document explains how to obtain these discs, better than I could: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

Now, I will review the latest issue: "after attempting to backup my files with HP Recovery Manager I get a fail code FFFFFF14" - This appears to indicate that the registry is corrupt. However, I can't help but wonder whether or not hardware issues exist. I would like you to test the hardware on the computer. Please perform all of the diagnostics, by following this HP document: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443317

Please respond at your earliest convenience. Provide the results of the troubleshooting and any additional information or thoughts. I'm only here to help!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I think my problems may be fixed (at least for now).  I used an external HD and took my important info off, then did a factory reset using the HP built in tools.  I then put my info back on. 

Since then I have had other issues which involved unreadable files, which caused Win7 to shut down and reboot itself.  On reboot is self ran chkdsk and found the offending files and I think repaired the problem.

So far so good. Thanks again for your input.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.