Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hi i was needing some help with an uprade, I had bought a used hp compaq 6510b it has the core 2 duo T7100 1800mhz cpu, and im would like to upgrade to a better cpu does anyone no if this is possible, and what are my options? Thanks for your help,,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, it is probably a screen size difference.

Yours has a 14.1" screen, and the 6710b has a 15.4" screen, but have the same guts.

If you click on the bios revision link I posted, and then on the left side of the page, click on Download Drivers and Software, you will see you are on the 6510b support page.

Definitely not a dumb question.

I could have made a mistake, and that would not have been good sending you to the wrong page regarding BIOS info!

If for some reason you need to update the bios, you need to do it in XP or Vista. Those are the only supported operating systems for flashing the BIOS.

If you were to flash the BIOS while running windows 7, there is an extremely good chance that you will kill the PC for good.

Best Regards,

Paul

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link tothe quickspecs for your notebook.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12684_div/12684_div.HTML

You will find this list of supported processors:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9500 (2.60 GHz, 6 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)*
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.50 GHz, 6 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)*
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.40 GHz, 3 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)*
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.10 GHz, 3 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)*
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7800 (2.60 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)*
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7700 (2.40 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)*
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)*
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7300 (2.00 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)*
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)*
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7100 (1.80 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)*
Intel Celeron Processor 550 (2.00 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB)*
Intel Celeron Processor 540 (1.86 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB)*

Intel Celeron Processor 530 (1.73 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB)*

Go to your notebook's support and driver page and read the BIOS release notes to see if a BIOS update is needed before upgrading to a faster processor.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Paul

HP Recommended

thanks for the fast reply.:smileyhappy: I went to the site to check on the bios and i saw that it is for 6710b, i guessing  these are pretty much the same laptops? sorry if it is a dumb question.. and again thank you for the help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, it is probably a screen size difference.

Yours has a 14.1" screen, and the 6710b has a 15.4" screen, but have the same guts.

If you click on the bios revision link I posted, and then on the left side of the page, click on Download Drivers and Software, you will see you are on the 6510b support page.

Definitely not a dumb question.

I could have made a mistake, and that would not have been good sending you to the wrong page regarding BIOS info!

If for some reason you need to update the bios, you need to do it in XP or Vista. Those are the only supported operating systems for flashing the BIOS.

If you were to flash the BIOS while running windows 7, there is an extremely good chance that you will kill the PC for good.

Best Regards,

Paul

HP Recommended

Thank you for the help. Greatly Appreciated.

HP Recommended

Anytime!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.